A beginner's guide to sifting through the nonsense -- Part 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
In the first part we went into some general principles newcomers can use to judge the value of a post.

In this part, we'll talk about how to judge the credibility of the poster.

Look for key words:

when someone says: I understand that .... , you should read "I don't have a clue what I'm talking about but I want to participate.

when someone says It's common knowledge that ... (or anything involving statistics), you should read "I don't have a clue but I read about it.

when someone says In my experience .... , you should read "I saw something like that once.

when someone says I see things like .... often (or all the time), you should read "I know of two cases when .... "

when someone says the best way is .... , you should read that they tried two things and liked one of them better than the other.

when someone says the ONLY way is .... , you should read that they haven't tried anything and are blindly implementing what they read on the internet.

when someone says it's a fact that ... , you should read that they tried it once and it worked.

In fact, it's good policy to be sceptical of anyone trying to "convince" you that "their" way is good for you. So who can you trust? Nobody. You have to make up your own mind about just about everything. Take every bit of information as a new idea and weigh it in your own context to judge it's merit. In that sense, the only people worth listening to are the ones who don't come with judgements and sales pitches but who come with questions and a course of reasoning.

That bit of advice is for free.

R..

I don't believe a word you say, it has been my experiences that have taught me everything I know :rofl3:

I don't know all about that but...

I understand that there are alot of new divers who come across Scubaboard and try to absorb all of the information on the board within the first 48 hours.. With that in account, it is common knowledge that many find that the wisdom of this board can sometimes be a bit daunting to try and take in all at once.

In my experience, I'd say that Diver0001's advise is spot on and should be something any new diver should take into account.

I've seen people try and take great advise and do things like come up with menomic devices to remember all of the great tips.

Of course, the best way to really apply Diver0001's advise is to print the thread out and paste it to your mouse pad. That way it is always available for quick reference.

The only way to really make sure that your mouse doesn't start to wear away these sage words is to laminate the paper and to use a laser mouse. We all know that the track balls on a mouse will leave a residue marring the laminate and making the text hard to read.

Jan

dlndavid:
I don't believe a word you say, it has been my experiences that have taught me everything I know :rofl3:
That's a fact. We see it that way too. Common knowledge (with a mean of 3, standard deviation of 4.5) tells us that this is the best way. A very skilled diver, who stayed at the Holiday Inn Express last night told me that this is the only way.

Beware of those who use the royal "we".

Nice Rob...:D I missed the first installment.

This is a great thread!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom