A 39MP camera!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's off a satellite feed, Dennis. I bet if we Googled "Google Earth Satellite camera" we could find it.

" Google Earth has had medium resolution global satellite coverage since the beginning. But that was at 15 meters per pixel. This new global coverage was produced in conjunction with our exclusive satellite partner, Digital Globe, and is at approximately 70 cm per pixel. We have even better data for many countries, up to 10 cm per pixel."

The digital globe website says its images are (approximately) 27,500x27,500 pixels. That's about 2 gigapixels.

Diver Dennis:
Here is a link to the 4 GP camera. Yes, Gigapixel.

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,66498,00.html

This is a film based project.The GP comes into the scanning, and printing, not the shooting. This is basically a large format camera utilizing custom film developed for the project, and custom scanners to scan the film and put it into digital format.

"increased to 670 megapixels (12.5-micron scan resolution). At which level, although substantially higher resolution was being achieved on film, the pixel count temporarily became constrained by issues related to scanner resolution and the file size limits of Adobe Photoshop."

RonFrank:
This is a film based project.The GP comes into the scanning, and printing, not the shooting. This is basically a large format camera utilizing custom film developed for the project, and custom scanners to scan the film and put it into digital format.

"increased to 670 megapixels (12.5-micron scan resolution). At which level, although substantially higher resolution was being achieved on film, the pixel count temporarily became constrained by issues related to scanner resolution and the file size limits of Adobe Photoshop."

This is freaky!! This Graham Flint gentleman lives in Albuquerque. In fact I went to his house the other day to look at some remodeling work he and I have been talking about for awhile. As I went in the front of the house, he had these large tripods and big boxes in the entry. Apparently he just returned from a 'shoot' in Oklahoma City of the Mira Building. We got to talking about his process, it IS film based. The same film the use for air reconnaissance, and then scanned. Neat pictures!!!

ABQdiver:
This is freaky!! This Graham Flint gentleman lives in Albuquerque. In fact I went to his house the other day to look at some remodeling work he and I have been talking about for awhile. As I went in the front of the house, he had these large tripods and big boxes in the entry. Apparently he just returned from a 'shoot' in Oklahoma City of the Mira Building. We got to talking about his process, it IS film based. The same film the use for air reconnaissance, and then scanned. Neat pictures!!!

Wow that is sooo cool.

So where does he get the money for such a venture? I look at these types of folks, and think, what is it that got them into this position in life, and how do you make any money doing a project like this?

Sometimes the answer will never be known, sometimes it hard work, often it's luck, and ties to others with $$$.

RonFrank:
Wow that is sooo cool.

So where does he get the money for such a venture? I look at these types of folks, and think, what is it that got them into this position in life, and how do you make any money doing a project like this?

Sometimes the answer will never be known, sometimes it hard work, often it's luck, and ties to others with $$$.
Funny you should mention that! They started the process as a hobby and then it got larger, and larger. They are hoping to make some money with it someday...... LOL

Sounds like all of us in this thread!!

Diver Dennis:
Gee, small world eh?

I didn't know it was film Ron.

Yeah, you would have to read the fine print to really figure that out, the title sure sounds digital! :D

But when I saw 4GP, based on what I know of the current technology, I was thinking how could anyone miss that breakthrough.. well we did not! :eyebrow:

Boy it would not take long to fill a HD with those scans! :lol:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom