9th Annual Lake Travis Underwater Cleanup - Sept 21st

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick - don't tell me ..... you were the "Rick" in class??? Small world .... didn't even occur to me to see if any of the guys in class were Swampsters!! Guess I'll see you tomorrow!!:D

Kat

Well - It was a drippy, misty day - but lots of folks came out.

I got to meet TX.Lakerats briefly [we came late to the lunch] - but missed any of the other swampsters other than the OHS gang. We both had our TXSDT T-shirts on so we were easy to spot, at least for each other.

CarlisleRe's fears came true - He, Hooligan & I ended up on beachmaster patrol. We had somewhere between 60 and 80 divers at Mansfield Dam, so there was a lot of heads to count. [They did all come back in, eventually] At least PurdueEE got to dive!

OHS got the prize for most divers, and I remember that the "Most Unusual" was some kind of purple plush toy - - - No Door prizes were won by anybody that I know I know!

Channels 8 & 42 were there - I'll be watching the 10 o'clock news for friends!

By the way - Allen42 - If you look directly across the lake from Mansfield Dam SCUBA area - you will see the Testing Center

Kat,

How did it go at your area? My buddy and I made a deal on Sat that if it was rainy and yucky he could go ahead and sleep in as was his original plan.

I got the phone call this morning and the weather was crappy. I almost headed out alone, but as you know I wasnt there.

Are you guys doing a rescue class also?

Rick

Well I agree with Larry - it was wet & rainy - but a lot of folks showed anyway .... we ended up at West Beach Marina and did a much better job than last year! Alan & I brought up pretty full bags. Mostly bottles & cans, a lot of scrap metal, but he found a ski pull with rope, I found a 2 ft mylar owl but lost it trying to get it in the bag. Sorry I didn't spot you guys - we got there early, and I did look, but with the tables packed together it was hard to get around.

Rick - sorry you didn't make it - you missed a good time. Not sure when we'll do Rescue - this year or next. Hopefully we'll run into you again!!

Kat

Well as Larry posted.... I got to meet him at Carlos-n-Charlies for the lunch. We both had our shirts on so it was easy to spot... Even with the rain the water temps were VERY nice... Brought up alot of junk!! Cell phones, full bottles of what looked like V-8 but AFRAID to open. There were 4 of us diving from our shop in DFW and we all together brought up 7 bags of trash!!

We will be there again next year!!

At least for me, this was probably one of the best times I've ever been in the lake. We were out at Mansfield and must have had around 12-15 ft. of visibility. I was diving in a threesome (which normally fills me with trepidation in the lake), but I had no problems keeping track of both buddies during the whole dive. We went down as far as 50' (no one brought a primary light) and the temp was still a comfortable 79 degrees. If I'd had another tank, I'd have gone back in.

We managed to fill a trash bag and lug back the upper portion of a steel drum that we found. Most of the junk was beer bottles and cans, with the occassional steel plate or long strand of monofilament. I was planning on heading over to where Larry was to find some scubaboard folken after the drawing, assuming that the table area under the tent would clear out. After the drawing though, the place seemed to empty instantaneously. I thought about hanging around, but in the end I just went home and fell asleep during the Texans game...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom