85m air dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe I missed it, but do you dive with dual bladders, Ian?

Hell no,what sort of a stroke do you take me for? :D

More seriously, I know I can swim up a set of Al80 doubles with an empty wing (tried it in the local lake from 60 feet with a 3mm wetsuit) Assume I could do the same with a couple of stages added. If not I have a buddy (most of the time) failing that I have a lift bag.

Must admit the thought of a wing failure has entered my mind though when hanging over several thousand feet of water. Realistically how likely is that though? Nothing's going to puncture it.I'm not going to heave on the inflator. Probably more chance of getting hit by lightning

<snicker> What are our choices? :rofl3:
More seriously, I know I can swim up a set of Al80 doubles with an empty wing (tried it in the local lake from 60 feet with a 3mm wetsuit) Assume I could do the same with a couple of stages added. If not I have a buddy (most of the time) failing that I have a lift bag.

Must admit the thought of a wing failure has entered my mind though when hanging over several thousand feet of water. Realistically how likely is that though? Nothing's going to puncture it.I'm not going to heave on the inflator. Probably more chance of getting hit by lightning

Agreed.

<snicker> What are our choices? :rofl3:

A green one? :giggle:

So, I'm reading all these course requirements and guidelines and they all talk about having redundant lift capability. If one hasn't a dry suit or dual bladder wing, What's left? A lift bag?

A green one? :giggle:

So, I'm reading all these course requirements and guidelines and they all talk about having redundant lift capability. If one hasn't a dry suit or dual bladder wing, What's left? A lift bag?

Lift bag/smb works just fine. Depending on the dive in open ocean I'll take 1 as a minimum, 2-3 max.

Only time I ever used a dual bladder wing was on my Advanced Nitrox/Deco course.

Probably need to talk to your instructor about the redundant lift requirement.

Nailed that one! :thumb: I have a 25lb smb and really don't want to buy a 50 lb lift bag.

If John Bennett was a stroke, then I'm flattered to be in the same company

I know I can swim up a set of Al80 doubles with an empty wing (tried it in the local lake from 60 feet with a 3mm wetsuit) Assume I could do the same with a couple of stages added. If not I have a buddy (most of the time) failing that I have a lift bag

Like you, I've practiced swimming up doubles, and using an SMB for ascents, in relatively shallow water. Can it be done? Yes

Do I fancy doing either from depth while following a deco schedule? No thanks

(a drysuit) is also depth-compensating...

So is a wing

A tropical drysuit is something I will try one day; it's another set of skills to learn. But it's not a priority for me as at the moment I can't see myself using one unless it's required for thermal protection, and I am happy with my wetsuits for 28-30C water :)

The buoyancy compensator is a fine tuning device. It's not like a lifejacket or anything like that. There's no such thing as redundant buoyancy or backup buoyancy or backup any of this stuff. The drysuit is not an inflation device, it's not a backup anything. Drysuit is to keep you warm.

The buoyancy compensator is a fine tuning device. It's not like a lifejacket or anything like that. There's no such thing as redundant buoyancy or backup buoyancy or backup any of this stuff. The drysuit is not an inflation device, it's not a backup anything. Drysuit is to keep you warm.

Under normal circumstance yes, however I will also not hesitate to push the chest button to aid in buoyancy if anything ever happens to my wing. Day to day dives I keep only enough air in the suit to keep my undergarments lofted but if/when it hits the fan, I will consider my drysuit an inflation aid if needed.

And how would a lift bag not be considered redundant buoyancy? It is there if needed. It will provide buoyancy. I see that as redundant buoyancy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom