85+ Feet, 39*-- Which Reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cobaltblue:
My wife and I have been having free flow issues(freeze ups) with our current regs below 65 feet in Lake Michigan.

What regs have you personally dove with no freeze problems below 85' and colder than 40* for any length of time?

Please no recommendations, only your experience as I do not want to turn this into a which is best.

We'll be buying new regs to correct the problem and would like to know what people are using.

Thanks!

If you are experiencing regulator free flows from cold environments you need to address first the procedure and then the regulator.

Make sure you are not inflating and inhaling on the reg at the same time. This has a tendency draw too much flow from the 1st stage causing a drop in temperature. (Joule-Thompson effect). Make sure you do not "purge" the regulator always exhale into it to clear it. Do not use the primary or octo to fill lift bags, use a seperate inflator tool.

Now to regulators.

You want a balanced diaphram environmentally sealed first stage. With a second stage that has a heat exchanger on the 2nd stage to help keep the air from dropping its temp too much.

It takes quite a lot to get a regulator to "freeze open". It can take as much as 5 seconds of constant purge to build up enough ice in the 2nd stage to hold the lever open. Prevention is the key.

But the best regulators for cold water are:

Aqualung Legend LX Supreme
Aqualung Legend Supreme
Aqualung Titan LX Supreme
Apeks ATX200, ATX100,
TX50/DS4

Poseidon Xtreme
Dive Rite RG1208-Ice
Mares Proton Ice

That should give you a good selection.

Regards,

cobaltblue:
My wife and I have been having free flow issues(freeze ups) with our current regs below 65 feet in Lake Michigan.
Thanks!

A few brands and models of regs can be modified by adding a few parts so that do no freeze up. Check and see if there is an evironmental seal kit for your reg before you replace it.

I frequently dive in the low 40's and occasionally high 30's with Apeks DS4's, ATX50's, and ATX200's (yes, even all on the same dive -- tech diving, go figure).

The only time I have managed to freeze one of the above first stages was in the parking lot when a second stage came off a set of doubles that I wanted drained anyway and I let them go for several minutes (first stage venting to the atmosphere). *Note: I don't sugest this as a good way to drain a tank.

I have an Apeks but Sherwood Blizzard and Arid which are identical also work. No one want to use an Arid in cold or a Blizzard is warm. :D

What regs are you using now? Any reg can freeflow if you don't follow the right protocol (see Joel's post) and any reg can freeflow if not properly serviced.

I use all apeks regs in water in the mid/upper 30s w/ no problems

Another vote for Apeks. I have a DS4, DST and two ATX50's and have never had a problem with them in water as cold as 32F. They're pretty hard to beat and they're not terribly expensive.

Sherwood Blizzard or Oceanic Delta 3. I have both and have used both. Unfortunately the 3 is no longer available being replaced by the delta 4. You ,may still be able to find a 3 in some shops. I have tested the 4 but not in cold water and so cannot recommend it based on experience. The Blizzard has a long rep for ruggedness and reliability.

Sherwood Blizzard
I belong to a dive team in upstate NY, we use Blizzards, we did have some Dacor but have replaced with Blizzards. Our LDS sells US Divers and Sherwood all of their rental gear and class gear is sherwood. Takes alot of abuse and very reliable in any condition.

My Atomic M1 is environmentally sealed and I've had it to 33F without a problem.

But I absolutely agree that diving water below 50F is about more than just a good reg. It's about your other gear and about using good cold water procedures as discused above and in many other threads on SB.

As summer wanes in the northern hemisphere, you'll see more of these threads popping up here on ScubaBoard, so stay tuned...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom