80cu Tank at 800 Feet ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cue DC in 3...2...1...

_39243378_aaaexplosionap203cred.jpg

DC

Hahahahaaaaa!! Hey, y'all... Hold my beer for a second so I can clap...

:luxhello:

Yes.

But for obvious reasons I won't post any more detailed deco information than we've already given. Never know when someone might just be crazy enough to try it after reading about it on the internet.

This reminds me of a joke.

What are the last words of a redneck?

Hey, y'all. Watch this!!!

Just interested in the science of diving think i may start working on a dive calculator shortly :cool2: thanks for all the help guys and i do have a buddy who claims 480 feet on a single lol

480 is pushing it, but 440 is much more reasonable.

Wah Wah - SubAqua UK

(You probably dont want to try that at home :wink: )

<<<
One thing that really scared me was this noise. When I couldn't read my gauges, I heard this noise-wah-wah-wah-wah-really loud. I didn't know what it was. When I heard the noise, I could not see my hand on the cable. All I could see was my gauge. I couldn't see anything else--everything surrounding the gauge was black >>>

Odds are he could have made it to 480 on a single, but highly unlikely he would have returned to tell you about it.

Not that I would encourage something so fantastically stupid as Scuba to that depth on a single, but looking at apnea records makes the engineer in me say it is quite possible.

Guillaume Nery's 109 Meters/357' on one breath and under his own power:
YouTube - Guillaume Nery World Record Free Dive

BTW, if you have not seen Guillaume Nery base jumping at Dean's Blue Hole:
YouTube - Guillaume Nery base jumping at Dean's Blue Hole, filmed on breath hold by Julie Gautier

If that doesn't make you want to dump all the extra crap hanging off you, then you just aren't "at one with the sea". Notice I said "want to" rather than actually do myself :wink:

As far as 800' on Scuba, IMHO stupid but doable. 318.25 Meters/1,044':
YouTube - World Record Dive 318,25 m

Not exactly on a single though!

Last edited:
... I can tell you that brass & glass SPGs made by Thermo (DIR Zone, Halcyon, OMS, HOG, Dive Rite, etc.) are regularly taken to the 475' range without anything weird happening with them...

You might consider adding your comments to that thread. It is essentially a database of information on the subject.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/computers-gauges-watches-analyzers/340231-operating-depth-spg.html

What are your emergency procedures if a couple of SPGs implode at 475'? Based on the observation I described in that thread, it would likely blow away the bourdon tube resulting in a couple of serious leaks (at that depth). Granted, it would not be such a big deal at 100' because of the flow restricting pinhole in the HP hose fitting.

Just to repeat a personal complaint: It would sure be nice if manufacturers would put depth ratings on their SPG faces just like on diving watches. Knowing that your SPG has a safe working depth of 500' rather than 330' would be pretty useful information if I was looking at one at 475'.

Edit: If there was ever a thread worth hi-jacking it is this one :wink:

What are your emergency procedures if a couple of SPGs implode at 475'? Based on the observation I described in that thread, it would likely blow away the bourdon tube resulting in a couple of serious leaks (at that depth). Granted, it would not be such a big deal at 100' because of the flow restricting pinhole in the HP hose fitting.

I don't think the leak on a HP hose would be any faster at depth. If anything it would be slower due to the higher ambient pressure. (smaller pressure differential between tank and water)

Any volunteers?

(Agree that a LP leak will empty a tank faster at depth due to the actual IP being higher)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom