80cu Tank at 800 Feet ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some rough math tells me at a descent rate of 60fpm to 800' at a fairly good sac of 0.5 you'd breathe an alu 80 down to nothing somewhere around the 700' mark.

But that would mean that you're total deco obligation would be shorter, so that's a plus.

VI

the question as though how long will it last at 800 let me know what you think and your math behind it

Many tech divers I know use much faster descent rates than that, some up to 3 times faster if they're using a DPV.

If you dont mind explaining whats dpv :) thanks man

If you dont mind explaining whats dpv :) thanks man

Diver propulsion vehicle or scooter. Some of the higher end ones travel ~200' per minute.

IIRC, Joel ([user]JS1Scuba[/user]) did a test of HP and LP hoses at various depths and published the results here a few years back.

I think you're getting confused. It was Curt Bowen on TheDecoShop that did the hose tests The Deco Stop

Joel Silverstein is the guy that recently found the bell from the Doria :wink:

I think you're getting confused. It was Curt Bowen on TheDecoShop that did the hose tests The Deco Stop

Ah yes, I think that is the one I was thinking about, although I would have sworn it was Joel. (Sorry Curt!)

Lets not open up that can of worms! :rofl3:

There was also a thread here on the subject about the same time: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/46984-how-long-freeflow-empty-tank.html

For those of you who aren't members of TDS, here's an excerpt from that post in 2004:

Curt Bowen:
Divers

Here is a little test I did at Eagles Nest cave on Feb 12th for a small article to be placed in issue 17 of Advanced Diver Magazine.

The question I wanted to answer was:

How much time would it take to empty a full aluminum 80 cuft cylinder from 3000 psi to 0 for the following situations and would depth affect the times.

1. Failed Burst Disk
2. Failed HP Hose
3. Failed LP Hose
4. Free Flow high performance regulator 2nd stage.

I completed the test on the surface (0 feet) with 4 aluminum 80’s and a Zeagle D50 regulator.

Here are the results

1. Failed Burst Disk = 72 seconds
2. Failed HP Hose = 22 minutes
3. Failed LP Hose = 83 seconds
4. Free Flow High Performance Regulator = 255 seconds

I then repeated the test at 4 atm’s / 99ft

1. Failed Burst Disk = Same within a second or 2
2. Failed HP Hose = Same within a minute
3. Failed LP Hose = Same within a second or 2
4. Free Flow High Performance Regulator = 155 seconds

<snip>

For the rest of the information, see the post located here: ADM Failure TEST

And just for grins, my report back on how long it took to shut down valves in the event of a failure:

Cave Diver:
Right Post - 6 seconds

Left Post - 11 Seconds

Isolator - 9 seconds

Super - those are the stats quoted in the SSI Solo Diver manual.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom