7mm wetsuit overkill for Bahamas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would use them until somebody explicitly told me I couldn't. As I did in Utila last month... :D

Just don't touch the reef. That's why some places ban gloves - to keep people from putting their hands on stuff.

Well I guess we see things differently. If the rules are clearly stated, I follow them unless given an exception. If I don't like their rules, I'll dive elsewhere. It's like visiting someone else's home. I remove my shoes if the host does and I don't bring my pet. It's a matter of respect and I don't presume an explanation (though if I feel strongly about it and it directly affects my safety I may ask for one. :)) Their boat, their rules. All IMHO, YMMV.

Well I guess we see things differently. If the rules are clearly stated, I follow them unless given an exception. If I don't like their rules, I'll dive elsewhere. It's like visiting someone else's home. I remove my shoes if the host does and I don't bring my pet. It's a matter of respect and I don't presume an explanation (though if I feel strongly about it and it directly affects my safety I may ask for one. :)) Their boat, their rules. All IMHO, YMMV.

I expect the boat to let me know what the local rules are. If I read that there is a marine park and that gloves are not allowed there, am I going to keep my GPS out so that I can figure out if we're on a dive site in the marine park or outside it? No.

If the boat tells me "no gloves", I don't wear gloves. If the boat does not say anything about gloves, then I'm going to wear gloves. I'm not going to touch the reef or anything else (i.e. respect the reason for the rule, if there is one). But, I'm going to wear gloves any time I possibly can. Usually, very thin ones with a mesh back. To protect against unpleasantries that might be on an anchor line. Or if I or somebody else really screws up and I *have* to put my hand out and on something, to keep something even worse from happening.

In Utila, nobody ever said anything about gloves... for about 2 or 3 dives. Then, one of the DMs told me "hey, you're not allowed to wear gloves here" and I didn't, after that.

For a relatively new diver, and first time on a LOB, the gearing up phase is really quite important. After the first day or so you will be comfortable getting in and out of your gear and coordinating the former with your DB. However, you do not want to be the keener who is all geared up way too quickly and sitting for an extended period of time and unable to cool off.

FWIW, I would do some additional research on water temps and try to find some trip reports that may have been filed for around the same time last year. This may help you making final decision as to whether 3mm is sufficient. But as has been pointed out by folks with lots of time in the water, cold tolerance is an individual thing. Also, keep thorough log entries to understand how you are managing weight/buoyancy etc. Enjoy your trip!

5 mil or 7 mil freediving suits sound like they’d be perfect for what you guys are talking about. For me I like my head covered (because I’m bald) but also because you lose a lot of heat out of your head. Freediving suits have attached hoods (most of them anyway) which makes for less individual pieces of neoprene and less water flow in and out of the suit around a neck seal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom