7mm wetsuit overkill for Bahamas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to wear a 7mil, year round, in Cozumel, and virtually every divemaster and instructor i knew, in cancun, Cozumel, Playa,etc, wore about as much neoprene as they could get ! May in basically late winter, as far as the water temp goes, and 4 dives per day is a lot of exposure. I'd say there's about zero chance you'll be baking to death in a 7mil, and as mentioned above, cooling off a little is a quick fix, but being chilly makes diving an uncomfortable chore (which is tolerable if you're working, but not if you're paying to dive for fun), so I'd personally play it safe and bring the 7mil.
But, a 7mil is a lot of bulk and buoyancy, and Stuart's advice above to just bring a 5mil along with a vest and hood is a good compromise. That shouldn't leave you short, no matter what. But that's as thin as I'd go.

I also meant to add earlier, consider bringing along a water and windproof shell jacket. Something you can put on over your wet wetsuit, when you get back on the boat, to reduce or eliminate evaporative cooling.

If surface conditions are cool and/or breezy, a wetsuit that is warm in the water can really suck the heat out of you if you keep it on after you get out. And since nobody likes putting on a cold, wet wetsuit, you might not want to actually take your suit off during every surface interval.

I used to wear a 7mil, year round, in Cozumel, and virtually every divemaster and instructor i knew, in cancun, Cozumel, Playa,etc, wore about as much neoprene as they could get !
One of the many factors that affect how much exposure protection you need, is what you're used to. People from warmer climates tend to want more exposure protection. Sure it's common to see a DM living in a tropical location in a heavier suit. Or folks from places that aren't that cold.

Our very first dive trip when we started was to the FL keys in October. We were looking forward to ditching our usual heavy wetsuits. People on the boat - locals - were talking about how the water was getting cold and they were probably done for the season. Made us a little concerned, there in our lycra skins. Asked the temp and it was still >80. Being used to living and diving in New England, we were just fine. Different strokes.

Yeah, I get all that^, as you point out, we were acclimated to the tropics, and spent a lot of time in the water (and could never predict if we were going to get saddled with another boat trip,or some afternoon resort courses to do at the beach, or even the night dive, so we had to pace ourselves, thermally speaking).
But, I couldn't count all the times I've seen folks from the Great Frozen North, get back on the boat for the surface interval, and remark how unexpectedly cold they were. They'd come down with an expectation that everything is toasty warm, but the water and the wind can really take it out of you, almost any time of year, or geographic location. Erring on the side of caution and more neoprene is only prudent, IMO.

7 mil def too much. If it's winter time in caribbean, take a jacket for topside post dive

Thanks for all of the replies everyone!

This has definitely given me a lot to think about in terms of what would be best. I'm leaning towards getting a 3mm with a skin suit as I normally run a bit hot and bring my hood (5/10mm) and gloves in case I need something more. Either way, I'll bring a shell jacket for the topside - I hadn't thought of that, so thanks to the posters that suggested that.

That said, we'll see if the trip happens with all of the current travel restrictions. If not, looks like some local cold water dives with the 7mm late this spring instead.

Minimum 3mm full and maximum 5mm full. Hoodie and/or hoodie vest always good to have. # 1 rule on ScubaBoard is that you can cool down underwater but not warm up. Dress warm and stay safe.

Just double-check whether gloves are allowed where you'll be diving. It's not a huge extra thing to have to carry, but you might as well save yourself the tiny bit of weight and space if you can't use them.

Just double-check whether gloves are allowed where you'll be diving. It's not a huge extra thing to have to carry, but you might as well save yourself the tiny bit of weight and space if you can't use them.

You know I used to think that way, but (in my personal experience) I've been in enough situations where even though gloves were verboten (marine park rules etc.) the dive ops on the fly would allow/recommend them for certain dives/special situations (wreck dives or conditions with current where they prefer you use the mooring line for decent/ascent). Given I've experienced hooks in a mooring line and fire coral on bulkheads, I've always appreciated their concern and flexibility (and felt regretful when I left mine at home). They don't weigh much :) and shouldn't be used unless specifically allowed. Their boat/marine park, their rules. :) All IMHO, YMMV.

They don't weigh much :) and shouldn't be used unless specifically allowed. Their boat/marine park, their rules. :) All IMHO, YMMV.

I would use them until somebody explicitly told me I couldn't. As I did in Utila last month... :D

Just don't touch the reef. That's why some places ban gloves - to keep people from putting their hands on stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom