7mm vs. 3mm - how much warmer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, I have really been trying to logically think about how you could resolve this issue without breaking the bank!!! It's too bad that you didn't start with a 5mm then this would have been an easy fix. Ok, you need to get morre appropriate neoprene to your torso. There are several ways you can do this.
1. I would recommend a 1.8mm neoskin vest (Gold Core) that is worn UNDER the suit. Thid will provide a seal to your torso with less bulk.
2. I would then place either a 3mm integrated vest/hood or a 3mm integrated step-in/hood over the jump suit.
3. One other area I would cover up is my feet, by adding a pair of 3mm neoprene socks.

It's easy for me to say what I would do, because I DON"T do cold water at all. I'm a whimp!!!!
Carolyn

I killed a seal on my drysuit and I was not willing to call my weekend cave dives.

I used my little 3/2mm wetsuit with booties and a drysuit hood instead and was really cold. I was cold after a 45 minute run time and the 90 minute dives were killing me. I could only do 2 dives per day.

I added neoprene socks and 5mm boots with fin keepers to stop the water pumping as I kicked. That helped a lot. I was stilling shivering during deco on 90 minute dives though.

I have a 7mm with hood on order.

The cold doesn't hit you on the way in. It is on the way out and during the deco stops that the constant cold flow starts to bite. It blows in through the wrists and gap between the neck and the hood.

I think with a proper hood and gloves I could live with a 3mm suit in the springs. No gloves in the caves themselves though.

Peter

My Triple L 7mm wetsuit kept me comfy on a 120 minute dive with 24 minutes of deco in the FL springs.

This is in comparison to my 3mm where I was very cold and violently shivering after a 90 minute dive.

Peter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom