7mm vs. 3mm - how much warmer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisA:
Perfect example of my theory. Here is a Vermonter saying you will "bake" in 70F water. People from Florida would be in totall hypothermic shock at just the thought of 70F.
Thanks for all the input! You're right, I've been in Florida for 15 years- I can take the heat, hate being cold. (I'm a wuss too!) Hooded vest sounds like a good idea but hoods kinda bug me. Not sure what a beanie is, (hat not connected to vest?) how are they different? I just wasn't sure if 7mm would be warm enough to justify spending the money. I'm hoping to do some deep diving as well and wondered if 7mm would be good for that. Is 'double the thickness, double your weight' fairly accurate? I know, I'll have to try it to be sure. Starting close to what is needed just makes it simpler. Another reason I love SB- eliminates so much trial and error :10: Autumn is coming very soon. I hope to dive the ocean until it's just too cold for anything less than a dry suit. Then, it'll be back to the springs for the winter. Wanna do the Ginnie thing at Halloween but it's too soon to say if I'll be there for sure. Versatility is the best reason I can see for going with the 7mm. I think it will cover a greater temp range. Will be interesting to see just how low the temps can go before I can't take the cold again. Kev, you mentioned below 71 you switch to dry suit. What time of year does this happen? Thanks again, SBers are the best!

Lil38:
Not sure what a beanie is, (hat not connected to vest?) how are they different? I just wasn't sure if 7mm would be warm enough to justify spending the money. I'm hoping

These are beanies - sometimes called tropical hoods.

Lil38:
Kev, you mentioned below 71 you switch to dry suit. What time of year does this happen?
At 71, I put my hood on....:rofl:

I dive in 70+ degree water and use a 3 mil. When it gets between 60-65 I use the same 3mil and add a hood. I dive a place called Mermet Springs. It's water is 42 degrees year round. There I use a 7 mil suit with hood and gloves. I have a farmer john henderson and find it to be really nice. Although a number of people use a 5 mil hyperstretch from henderson and do just fine. I have even used a 5 mil on several dives and found it to be adequate also. As far as depth and the suit compressing etc. that is true but, I have always been fine down to 100' @ 42 degrees F.. Go to Mermetsprings.com and you can look at the depths and what the dive conditions are. With all that said the dry suit is the real way to go if you have the financial resourses.

Duckgill:
I dive in 70+ degree water and use a 3 mil. When it gets between 60-65 I use the same 3mil and add a hood. I dive a place called Mermet Springs. It's water is 42 degrees year round. There I use a 7 mil suit with hood and gloves. I have a farmer john henderson and find it to be really nice. Although a number of people use a 5 mil hyperstretch from henderson and do just fine. I have even used a 5 mil on several dives and found it to be adequate also. As far as depth and the suit compressing etc. that is true but, I have always been fine down to 100' @ 42 degrees F.. Go to Mermetsprings.com and you can look at the depths and what the dive conditions are. With all that said the dry suit is the real way to go if you have the financial resourses.
If I win the FL lotto, I'll have new everything :D. Checked the Mermet Spgs. site. Looks like a nice place. 15yrs ago, my home was < 2hrs from there before I moved to FL (also before I was diving) Since this is your 1st post, welcome to SB! (and thanks for the .com) Been lurking for some time, huh? (member since Oct. '04) You should post a greeting, tell a li'l about yourself, fill out your profile, etc. Will send you a PM in case you've never used that feature. SB is the best way to spend the surface intervals! >Vtdiver2, It's all about acclimation...... :07: I love diving, less than 50 logged, I'm goin' whenever/ where ever/ whatever. IMO tropical diving is the best. Warm temps, vast sea life, most colorful, well, don't know if you've ever done any. If not, ya just gotta! 'Course, you'd definitely need to wear different exposure suit :) wouldn't want ya to boil over! I just don't know how folks in the north can dive those COLD temps (Mermet Spgs.- 42 degrees year 'round) all the time- dang! That's some love for diving :07: :07:

!overheating and diving....shesh

I dive 7mm at 35F, if it fits right, it's warm (well let's say comfortable).

Lil38- I dive all year. Now that I am getting "older" (36) I am starting to not like the cold so much. I wore a 3mm shortie with full sleeves and a 3mil FJ with a 5mm hood. The second dive in Jupiter at 66 to 69 degrees was very cold.
I too am looking to dive a 7mm this winter. The best thing about diving in the winter is that there will be very few divers on the boats.

Around January you can come with "The Winter Conchs" and go to our super secret lemmon shark dives.

Lil38,
Versatility?
This is what I've done so far over the years.
Wetsuits, 1-3mm shorty, 2-3mm fulls, 1-7mm.
7mm hood. 3mm beanie (purchased for Fla. spring diving.)
3mm and 5mm gloves.
I've dove combinations of all of the above from 80 degree water
down to 49 degree water. I guess if I wasn't so $ stingy there would
be a dry suit in the mix also. I actually find 2-3 mm suits less restrictive
than my 7mm, maybe it was a bad choice of brand.
To each his own, I've found this mix of equipment has worked for me.
Currently in the quarrys at 70-75 degree water I'm diving the 3mm shorty
with a 3mm full wetsuit. Probably be in a 7mm in the next month when the
water temps drop. After then it is back to the Fla springs to warm up.
You've got to do Mermet at least once!

Orlando Eric:
Lil38........Around January you can come with "The Winter Conchs" and go to our super secret lemmon shark dives.
Is there a secret password? :06: Secret handshake? :06: Super secret Florida Conch Clubhouse door knock with a hidden offering for the official sacrifice to the all-powerful and mighty dive gods????? :11: IOW- Do I just 'rat-a-tat-tat' with a bottle of rum, for the rum tote? :D In January, I like to warm up with hot chocolate and Bailey's Irish Cream :eyebrow: yum!...and with my 7mm wetsuit.....I'm ready, count me in!!!

Land Locked:
Lil38....... I guess if I wasn't so $ stingy there would
be a dry suit in the mix also.
I hear ya, not much cold water diving for me in the near future.
Land Locked:
..... Probably be in a 7mm in the next month when the
water temps drop.
Drop? :11: to what?!
Land Locked:
After then it is back to the Fla springs to warm up.
See? You gotta warm up too! Let us know when you'll be coming........we'll Conch it up!!! :crafty:
Land Locked:
You've got to do Mermet at least once!
U kiddin'?.... I've always said, I'm up for a dive anywhere at least once! (that's 'cause I've got less than 50 logged).....You ever dive there? Would be nice if done in the summer....<begins daydreaming>....been a while since I've been north.....ain't done a road trip in some time either......'course, it's almost Autumn, I love the changing colors of the leaves.....<VVVVRRRIITT-poof!!! back to reality> Man, if gas prices don't stop rising....my truck will rust in the driveway.......ugh, the grass is so tall, didn't I just mow it yesterday???! (more gas woes) It's just been raining so much......good grief, is hurricane season over yet? When's my next vacation?! Whadaya mean I got no pd. time-off coming 'til Christmas 2008???....... Uh, sorry, almost lost my grip for a sec. didn't mean to go on n on. Think it's time for a dive! :D

Back
Top Bottom