7mm between Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scvdiver,

I am guessing that you have the 05 version. I was reading that the 06 version is lighter and more flexable. Hopefully it dries out better as well. but you are right there is alot of suit there. Have you ever had any problems over heating when you are in the water?

Jason

I dove a Bare 7mm Velocity before going dry (25 dives on it or so) and it was always a struggle to get into - even though it was a "Hyperstretch" suit. To echo everone else, it is just something thick wetsuit divers have to get used to. After learning and diving a drysuit for awhile now, I'm of the persuasion that any dive that requires a 7mm suit is better done dry.

Had a rough experience with the suit the other day though that would have been better in a wetsuit. I was diving with my dad at Blue Water Lake in Missouri (Oronogo), and it was 98 degrees outside with no shade. The water below the thermocline was 48, so I had on my thick undergarments. After getting all suited up the wrist strap on my bottom timer broke (my computer had broken on the previous dive), and I had to sit there in my drysuit trying to fix it. Just about passed out, and had to drink a quart of water before getting in.... at that point I did kinda wish I had the wetsuit on.

As far as overheating underwater - I wouldn't worry about it. Even if the water is a little warm for the suit, it is super easy to just grap the neck of the suit and flush some water in. Overheating in a drysuit is a bigger problem.

-Nick

It will get easier as your currently new-and-stiff suit gets broken in, and you get more practice with it. It's also easier when wet than when trying it on in the shop.

People deal, since there's no other choice...

hi,
i'm not sure how it is in San Diego but in Boston area, i haven't seen people taking off their 7 mm wetsuits (no one wears anything less than 7 mm around here as it gets quite cold at depth). It does take some time to put the suit on. If it's a hot day, there is a temptation to take it off in between dives but when you are putting it on again for your next dive it's rather uncomfortably wet and cold.

Jason,
I would say you are correct, it must be the 05 version, I got it in January 05. I was gettting too cold in my 5mm titanium to dive year round. It's funny that you ask if I ever overheated, this past weekend I was on a multi-day in the northern channel islands and the water was insanely warm 69 to 70 degrees at 40 feet, it was perfect. I dove without my gloves and had the hood pulled back. I can't say I've ever over heated underwater in the suit, I'm 6'2" 230# and wear the XXL. Maybe standing around on the boat in the summer sun, greared up waiting for my bud to get in the water, that's all. It is suprising how little water will hit your back when it's new though.

Mark

That is awesome, I am really looking forward to my San Diego trip. I have never dived cold water and heard it is a totally different world than warm water diving.

Jason

If it takes you 5 minutes to do the suit dry the fit or technique are not right first of all. Practice may help a lot. Remember that it's about getting the knees right and then rolling the suit up. You do have to thrust into the arms of course.

A wet 7mm can be very easy to get into and in the hot sun the wetness is refreshing (evaporative cooling). If you or the suit are just damp the arms can be a bit tricky. I keep some suit snot handy (1 part cheap hair conditioner and 2 parts water) get some on your arms and wrists and you'll pop right into the sleeves and the suit will settle right into place with no gymnastics. The snot is very helpful if your suit (like mine) has fubber flip seals in the forearms. I use a pump aprayer. A flip top bottle (like the conditioner comes in) may be better suited to a boat setting.

Certainly plan on rolling it down to the waist while on the surface. pouring a bottle of water in to keep the heat transfer going can help keep you comfortable.

Pete

spectrum:
Certainly plan on rolling it down to the waist while on the surface. pouring a bottle of water in to keep the heat transfer going can help keep you comfortable.

Pete

I always roll my one-piece wetsuit down during a surface interval. You can get either too hot or too cold. It's a lot more comfortable sitting around on the boat with your upper torso dry. If you are too hot just go bare or wear a t-shirt. If you are chilled after the dive throw on a jacket and a cap. Whether in Hawaii in a 3mm or in Monterey in a 7mm I usually get chilled so I have to put some dry warm clothes on after a dive.

With the J-type, I just drop the top and leave the integrated vest on. haven't had a problem with it.

Back
Top Bottom