750 pound Mako gaffed and killed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know how much weight a NOAA investigation will carry, but until it all pans out, those freegaffing jackalopes down there have to be a little nervous. Plus if they need an attorney, that's going to be an expensive walletectomy.

Yeah, perhaps they should have done a little research before they called Channel 7. IJS....

Seems like free gaffing, if it is what it sounds like, is essentially luring in a shark then hooking it with a *** pole thing. Is that about right?

Seems like free gaffing, if it is what it sounds like, is essentially luring in a shark then hooking it with a *** pole thing. Is that about right?

Yep. Way outside the legal ways of bagging a gamefish!! :D

It seems that that wld be more dngerous for the fishermen... Wehat makes this illegal?

With out rereading the reg, is harpooning illegal as well?

You might want to remove that post.. 99% of the people here consider them complete IDIOTS for killing a shark of that size.. Think about it :D

so when do they become too big to catch and keep? (just for discussion purposes.)

If they caught the shark legally and ate it I say more power to them. The shark fisherman that piss me off are the ones who hang the carcasses at the docks as trophies only to be discarded later.

I agree 100%.

what I don't like to see it some huge fish of any type killed for a photo op and then thrown away. Whether it's a shark, sailfish, Marlin, or even a snapper.

In the above case though, gaffing it (w/o hooking it), doesn't seem legal under the FL law posted above. :shakehead:

Got this in my Facebook e-mail. Please share with any marina operators you know.

Did you know that only Four marinas and resorts have joined the Shark Free Marinas effort in reducing shark mortality in the USA?

I'm not so sure about this. I mean what makes it wrong to catch sharks, but not Tuna, Mackeral, Amberjacks, etc? sounds like a double standard to me.

If it was caught legally, I see no issue with bringing it back to the marina where the owners boat is kept.

Mike the one I referred to caught in the Perdido Pass last year was seen in the water by a boat coming in. They then snagged it and then shot it with a shotgun. As far as the size I was a shark fisherman. Came damn close to winning the Half Hitch shark tournament on 3 ocasions. If I was fising for one to eat, I only want them under 50lbs, 100 max.

Unfortunately DA was correct. Taking a large mako like that hurts the population due to the fact they take soo long to get there. However bashing someonewho believes legally harvesting them is ok and then name calling is wrong. IJS.

Its like all other things, we wait to react until its too late to fix the problem. This may never be a problem but I doubt it. I know 15 years ago sharks were a dime a dozen, I have not seen one in my last 70 dives. I think they should have a slot limit on them, small ones and large ones go back.

I agree that taking a large shark could hurt the population, but all I was saying was that if it was legally taken, then there shouldn't be an outcry about it.

Just like I don't believe that taking small Lobsters is ok. I've caught small ones before, and then measured them to learn they were too small and let them go. ( I had a little chat with him though to tell him that I'd be back for him next year..... :thumb:). Same thing with egg bearing lobsters. You need to let them go. Otherwise if everyone took them, there would be no more...

I agree that taking a large shark could hurt the population, but all I was saying was that if it was legally taken, then there shouldn't be an outcry about it.

Just like I don't believe that taking small Lobsters is ok. I've caught small ones before, and then measured them to learn they were too small and let them go. ( I had a little chat with him though to tell him that I'd be back for him next year..... :thumb:). Same thing with egg bearing lobsters. You need to let them go. Otherwise if everyone took them, there would be no more...

Exactly!! I have no problem with them fishing for them legally..My issue is how they do it. I think there is bigger issues there tho. I think foreign countries who long line really do a lot more damage than a few yahoos we have here. But it impacts us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom