750 pound Mako gaffed and killed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ethical and legal considerations aside; does anyone realize how difficult it is to gaff a green 750 pound shark and bring it in the boat?

I have gaffed 50 pound green cobias and been beaten half to death....

Larry,
Great analogy.
I'm still dumbfounded as to why I didn't think of shooting my neighbor kids first......:D
Some of 'em are little sh_theads.........

As for harvesting sharks......the jury is still out on that one.
I take my fair share of lobster and other species of fish and no one cries about that.
Granted, there are more lobster and mutton snapper out there than REALLY HUGE Mako's....
Then again....I eat what I catch....I don't just kill for the sport of it.

Human nature what it is the larger the species the greater the interest in protecting especially as they are mostly migratory with lower reproduction rates. Lobster and other reef fish can be managed more easily. Case in point the Goliath Grouper. I see more GG on dives these days than most other species...

I'm with Orlando Eric........and add to the title of the thread ......"and eaten by many" I thought this shark died last week :wink:

I'm with Orlando Eric........and add to the title of the thread ......"and eaten by many" I thought this shark died last week :wink:

The whales Japan cull are eaten be many as well. "I thought this shark died last week" Some of us can hold a thought for longer than a few days. :)

I HATE to see any shark killed - but this pales in comparison to the shark finning that takes place to supply the Asian market (mostly China) with shark fins for soup.

Until this situation gets under control - similar to the condemnation has occoured w/ whaling, although some countries still engage in this outdated, cruel, useless practice - we are going to see the shark population decline needlessly.

Guilty, no, unsatisfied....probably. Vegetables are what food eats.:D

:shakehead: Actually, it tasted awesome! I don't need meat to make a great meal. I did once have thresher shark that was caught in a tournament and it was terrible. I won't make that mistake again. The fishermen don't even take proper care of the meat by gutting it immediately because all they care about is the weight, which means uric acid is released into the flesh. And I definitely wouldn't eat a mako shark, regardless of whether it tastes good or not. Top ocean predators such as makos can hardly be compared to domesticated farm animals.

This thread is killing me. There were humans killed last week that haven't gotten this much attention or sparked this much controversy. On the other hand all this talk about mako's is making me hungry, time to go thaw out a mako steak from this summer and crack a beer.

Although the accuracy of Wikipedia is always in question it was interesting to read that our do good and always codensending European allies provide the majority of shark fins to the chinese and other markets. I do not see this changing in the near future with our current spending patterns and appetite for Chinese lending....

Shark fin soup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We should try to convince the Chinese that seal flipper in lionfish broth is much better then shark fin soup. :eyebrow:

:shakehead: Actually, it tasted awesome! I don't need meat to make a great meal. I did once have thresher shark that was caught in a tournament and it was terrible. I won't make that mistake again. The fishermen don't even take proper care of the meat by gutting it immediately because all they care about is the weight, which means uric acid is released into the flesh. And I definitely wouldn't eat a mako shark, regardless of whether it tastes good or not. Top ocean predators such as makos can hardly be compared to domesticated farm animals.

It was sarcasm dude, a joke, I have no agenda against vegans....unlike you with your very clear agenda against fisherman. Lighten up a bit.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom