750 pound Mako gaffed and killed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah.... those cows are real elusive creatures... I had to sit in my stand covered in bovine urine for hours the other day before one came along....

Serves you right for trying to take a cow. We're only allowed to take bulls here in Belize.

Hate to spoil it for everyone but I love to go to the local fish monger and get a nice Shark Steak to grill or smoke. I think they are great!

product-46-standard-640x480.jpg

Trophy shark fishermen are idiots.

I 100% Agree. They're really only killing a fish because it's BIG.

It certainly looks from the video like that mako was NOT caught on hook and line. I hope the fish police due a proper investigation and if it actually was free gaffed they impose a heavy fine and impound their gear. Considering the MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of sharks that are killed by humans each year I don't understand how anyone can justify killing a big breeder. :shakehead: Makos are currently considered to be overfished by NMFS.

What did you all eat for dinner tonight, and where did it come from? Just a little "food for thought"........

Well, let's see. I had zucchini, carrots, cellery, spinach, carrots, and corn. Oh, and bak choy and tomatoes. Am I supposed to feel bad?
:(

Well, let's see. I had zucchini, carrots, cellery, spinach, carrots, and corn. Oh, and bak choy and tomatoes. Am I supposed to feel bad?
Vegetable MURDERER!!!! :shocked2:

Guilty, no, unsatisfied....probably. Vegetables are what food eats.:D

I don't know how much weight a NOAA investigation will carry, but until it all pans out, those freegaffing jackalopes down there have to be a little nervous. Plus if they need an attorney, that's going to be an expensive walletectomy.
:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Yes, sometimes you have to go to extreme lengths and use extreme examples to get some people to understand the issue.

But the question remains, can you make the connection between that over the top analogy and the faulty logic expressed that sport fishing for sharks is fine because more sharks die in nets and on long lines?

Let me explain it to you very clearly.

Shooting the occasional neighbor kid and saying it is "Ok" because more neighbor kids get killed in car accidents is indeed really dumb and is obviously not a desireable outcome as having any neighbor kids get killed is a tradgedy. Making it legal to kill a few neighbor kids would not make it any less tragic.

Similarly, killing a smaller number of sharks by sportfishing and saying it is "Ok" because a larger number of sharks are killed by commercial fisherman is also really dumb for the same reasons. The loss of any shark in a threatened population is tragic, and it's status as a legal activity does not make it any less tragic.

The only difference between the two examples is in the degree of the tragedy and the personal relevance. Most of us don't think twice about the decline in apex predator populations as it is not as personal to us. The loss of a neighbor kid would be. The logical flaw in each argument is identical, it is just easier for people to identify that flaw if you use a more personal and extreme example to point out the flaw in the argument.

You continue to respond with personal attacks rather than presenting a legitimate argument. Do you have any real substance to back up your opinions or is this all you have?

Larry,
Great analogy.
I'm still dumbfounded as to why I didn't think of shooting my neighbor kids first......:D
Some of 'em are little sh_theads.........

As for harvesting sharks......the jury is still out on that one.
I take my fair share of lobster and other species of fish and no one cries about that.
Granted, there are more lobster and mutton snapper out there than REALLY HUGE Mako's....
Then again....I eat what I catch....I don't just kill for the sport of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom