7 Ft hose routing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I start out with my comments on the long hose based on using a long hose since 1993, and I have used one on close to 2000 dives over the years. I use them on my doubles rig diving, on my single tank diving, recreational training, and on my bail-out on my rebreather. Other than training excercises I have had to donate my long hose about 5 times for real situations. The long hose works and should be part of everyone's diving rig.

Routing the 7 foot hose at first may seem a bit tedious. but once you get used to it you will find it pretty easy to use.

The hose works best when it runs straight down from the regulator on the divers right side, comes up under the arm, across the chest and around the back of the head. Some put it behind the wing and under a light canister, others will loop it under a weight pouch if on the right side as well. However if you find that there is too much hose and you are not putting it behind the wing or under a light you can just tuck it in the waist band. I happen to carry my reels on my right side (i dont butt mount them) and that holds my long hose loop in place.

Next --the part behind your head. I put my mask strap under my hood so that in the event of a gas share or other activity my mask cannot become dislodged. With the strap out of the way when you do need to deploy the long hose you can just duck your head down (while picking up the 2nd regulator) and the hose will slide right over the head without snagging up on the mask strap.

Swivels --- I dont like to have my regulator hose stick out on the right side, I like it tight up against the side of my head, as such I do use a swivel on my second stage. The swivels I use are made by Kirby Morgan and only have one O-ring in them, while this adds one more o-ring to the system I am pretty confident that they wont fail, since the O-ring is not in a clamped down position. Some people swear against swivels - I have them on all my personal equipment.

Regards,

Soggy:
I'm assuming this also means you don't do an S-drill at the beginning of every dive. How can you be sure that the hose will deploy when you need it without checking?

What gear can a wrapped hose get tangled on? Or, more accurately, what gear is it going to get caught on after you have checked the routing and rewrapped on the way down? That's the purpose of an s-drill and it's something you can't do with a stuffed hose.

Also, say you are doing a practice dive. First, you have limited yourself to one airshare per dive, and second, if during that dive someone *really* needs gas (such as during your buddy's valve drill, perhaps?) you are now donating gas differently each time. This is a very real situation, since valve drills would always be done *after* an air sharing drill.

Donating gas is *the* critical skill and it should be practiced to perfection. To do this means doing it the same every time. Consistency is key.

Without trying to beat a dead horse, let's look at this from a different direction....

What side do you keep your deco bottles on and how do you route your deco bottle regulator hose(s)?

Most, route the regulator from the left side, around the back of the neck and into the mouth from the right side...just like a long hose is wrapped. This way, nothing changes. All hoses are deployed in exactly the same way.

The hose is rigged in a fail safe way. Two bungies holding the excess hose and there is nothing in the way of the deployment. With the bungie method you don't need to test the deployment, you have made certain of this in the way you prepared it on the surface. You donate the reg in the same way regardless of how it's stowed - you hand the reg to your OOA buddy. If it's wrapped around your body/neck you need to dip your head. That is the only difference. The location of the hose certainly does not limit you to 1 air share per dive. I said the chances of having to deploy more than once is unrealistic unless you are in a class or practicing.

If during a class or for practice I need to deploy my 7' reg it gets deployed then stowed with a body wrap. The body wrap hose deployment can get caught up on reels, lights, etc. depending upon where they are and your body position at the time of deployment. It would definitely be important to test deploy before each dive with the body wrap method (or if you are configuring new gear, etc.) because of the increased chance of getting snagged.

I like to keep all regs on my right. I carry my deco bottle on my right with hoses bungied to the tank. When I need to deco I reach down and pull out the reg. I have never seen a deco bottle rigged the way you describe. You're saying the bottle is mounted on the left and you have a long hose wrapping around the back? Or are you talking about the second primary reg (off the left post) of my backgas? If this is what you meant, my 2nd primary routes from the left post behind my back (laying on top, between the wing and tank) then under my right arm up then up below my chin held with a necklace. When I refer to right and left post, I mean right and left as though you are wearing your BP/Wings. Reach back with right arm to reach right post, etc. It is important to make sure you do not confuse your deco gas reg with any other reg.

--Matt

If you don't like the excess slack, there ARE six footer hoses. I use one myself. And if you're really petite, there are five footers.

matt_unique:
=I have never seen a deco bottle rigged the way you describe. You're saying the bottle is mounted on the left and you have a long hose wrapping around the back?

In a traditional Hogathian configuration, all deco bottles are slung on the left side with a 40" regulator hose. When being breathed, the hose comes off the deco reg, behind your neck, and into the mouth from the right side.

If the long hose is getting caught on reels, I'd suggest that person needs to rethink where they are stowing the reels.

It sounds like you've seen some poor technique with the long hose. Maybe next spring we can do a dive together and I can show you how it's supposed to work. My understanding from speaking with you in the past was that you didn't dive with a long hose anyhow.

archman:
If you don't like the excess slack, there ARE six footer hoses. I use one myself. And if you're really petite, there are five footers.

This works well for recreational diving and is what I have on my singles rig. With my skinny frame, I can route a 6' the same way most people route a 7'er. With a 7', I need to tuck it in the waist belt a bit or route it under my knife sheath on my waist belt.

Soggy:
In a traditional Hogathian configuration, all deco bottles are slung on the left side with a 40" regulator hose. When being breathed, the hose comes off the deco reg, behind your neck, and into the mouth from the right side.

If the long hose is getting caught on reels, I'd suggest that person needs to rethink where they are stowing the reels.

It sounds like you've seen some poor technique with the long hose. Maybe next spring we can do a dive together and I can show you how it's supposed to work. My understanding from speaking with you in the past was that you didn't dive with a long hose anyhow.

My offer still stands to have you join me on my boat for a dive. In terms of the hose routing I just have different preferences than you. I mentioned in my first post (one of them) that I know many people use the body wrap and have no problems. I mentioned that I have seen gear snag problems in some instances. Of course I have also seen buddies use it without trouble. For that matter I have never had a problem with deploying the body wrap when I have done so. I just don't like it, so I found a solution I liked better. The first post in this thread was a question about how to route the hose, the bungie method is a valid way to stow the 7' hose. The wrap method adds a hose to your chest in addition to the other potential snag issues. Ironically this is the Hog section - wouldn't you want to minimize your rig to avoid unnecessary hoses across your chest? :wink:

I have converted to the dark side with the 7' hose use....especially since I can stow it clean with the bungie method.

Take it easy...I got the day off to 'start' X-mas shopping so I am about to hit the road.

--Matt

When I first started cave diving ( 16 years ago) We were taught to bungee the long hose to the manifold or alongside the tank. I breathed the short hose. Now we breathe the long hose and I haven't noticed ANYBODY bungeeing the long hose. I'm sure that it will work, I use to do it and now I prefer to use the wrap method. Although this may not be the best arguement but if you do a "S" drill before the dive, re-stowing the long hose is going to be a buddy team thing where as the wrap is just about a one hander. If you find that the 7 footer is a little too long just wrap it around your neck twice........................................... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH JUST KIDDING!!!

I would like to thank everyone for their input, as I found it good food for thought.
I''ve done more solo wreck diving here in New York than most agencies have nightmares about, but I am new to cavern diving and "buddy" diving. (We use same ocean system here)
I am going to Playa Del Carmen next week to cavern dive with Yukatek. No course at this point, just enjoy some simple ones. I will get to Florida sometime soon. I work full-time in a dive shop since Sept 1, and really don't have spare time.
I also write. I'm VP of the New York City Sea Gypsies and have done some short pieces for the club newsletter. I'm interested in possibly following up on the recent deaths of two PA divers in the Tulum area, and putting together some piece maybe for the local PA paper. What do you think of this idea?
I don't pretend to be a part of the serious cave community, but I'll be there next week and find myself drawn to this event. It certainly makes my stomach hurt.
Anyway, I've got to leave for work soon but I wanted to put this out there for any feedback, comments, or help.
Thanks again to all the posters for their efforts on behalf of the diving community.

Best personal regards,
Bob Murray

Michael Schlink:
If you find that the 7 footer is a little too long just wrap it around your neck twice........................................... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH JUST KIDDING!!!

Believe it or not, I saw somebody do this recently ... :11:

No kidding ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom