7/22 CSSP incident follow-up...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alan, I told you at the time, and I still have to say it again, you did a hell of job. Everyone that responded did so quickly and efficiently. Thanks for what you did, it is appreciated.

Way to step up and take care of others, Alan. You make us all proud!
God bless ya'!

Way to go!

:angel_2: :bang: :peace2: :luxhello: :god: :luxhello: :god: :luxhello: :god: :peace2: :bang: :angel_2:

Alan,

I am always in awe of people who are thrust into situations which challenge them and come out on top... In this case you are the MAN...

But, as a regular, along with many others, to CSSP and having watched the seemingly out-of-control use of the lake this year I have to wonder aloud what is going on... Three incidents in such a short time... What did happen? I am really beginning to question how smart it is to do a late weekend afternoon dive with all of these "Certified" divers who may not be prepared for even the most basic of dive challenges ... And before all of you dive shop owners and DMs and Instructors start screaming, think about what you see and hear out there on the surface, not only from your people but from the other groups and ask yourself just how comfortable you feel...

I know of people who do all of their classroom on the internet and with one day of check-out dives get their C-Card...

I feel a tremendous responsibility to look after the people around me and hope as I begin my SAR and DM training I will have the same courage to do what Alan did but I also have to wonder about putting myself in a situation in which this is becoming the norm rather than the exception.

Just my two-cents worth and in no way do I mean for these comments to detract from Alan's heroric actions.

Charlie

I would like to know what the incident actually was, not to belittle or anything, but rather to learn from it. I am a new diver, and while I consider myself to be a safety minded person, I know that I will probably have problems occur in the future. Also, as I did my training in Athens, I have not yet been to CSSP, but I will in the very near future. It seems to be a hotspot for accidents.

I can 'assure' you guys that have voiced some concerns regarding the CSSP parks safety record.....this recent incident could have occurred in 'any' lake/ocean/pond.

IMO--CSSP is a safe and great place for divers to go and enjoy a day of diving or partc. in a dive class.

As divers we need to never get complacent in our dive planning, skills practice and gear care, and physical conditioning.....get out often and do the dives...use your head and have fun.

Well, it's not the lake/park hurting people. If a lot of talk starts popping up like this and trying to lay the blame on the park and who it attracts or what part the owners play in it then you will quickly find that this park will be shut down by the owners themselves, because no amount of money is worth "it". Worse, stricter enforcement of rules or even worse the state/government laying down the laws. The dive industry does not want anyone to step in and tell us what we can or can not do. It is up to the divers, instructors, etc. to govern ourselves. Personal responsibility is where it starts. It's only statistically more likely for more accidents to happen at a park like the one we are talking about because more divers go to it. If you take 400 people a weekend to Lake Murray then that will suddenly become a dangerous park. **** happens man, we don't want it to, but it does. We have had two runaway students in the 9 years we have been actively teaching. They never made it to the surface before we had ahold of them and held them back with a regulator shoved in their mouth and two firm hands on their BCD.

As others have stated there's nothing inherently dangerous about CSSP. We have had 3 incidents this year.

1. An instructor had a medical issue at depth. This could have happened anywhere including not in the water, it was bad timing. All ended well here.

2. A recently certified OW diver was practicing a buddy breathing drill with her father and it went bad. There is an entire thread on this so I will not discuss it here but this could have happened anywhere. Things did not turn out well here.

3. I'm not familiar with the specifics but Alan is telling us this last incident could have happened at any dive spot as well. Fortunately this turned out well.

I notice that people tend to think of CSSP as a giant swimming pool that is a very safe environment. This is still an OW environment that needs to be respected. Alan said it best with the following.

texdiveguy:
As divers we need to never get complacent in our dive planning, skills practice and gear care, and physical conditioning.....get out often and do the dives...use your head and have fun.

As Alan said, this could have happened anywhere. For people who want to label CSSP as a dangerous spot, in this most recent incident, the fact that it was at CSSP may have saved this woman's life. Think about it. By the time the male diver came to the surface calling for help, there was a diver in the water within 30 seconds. By the time Alan got to her, there were already at least 6 other divers/DMs/instructors at the exit point of the water standing by to provide surface support, first aid, and O2. That is an extremely quick response for a recovery. Had this been anywhere else, it's luck of the draw whether or not another diver would be close enough to help, and also whether another instructor would be close enough to deploy O2. God forbid I ever have an incident, but if I do, I would much rather it be around a hell of a lot of divers who can assist when needed.

Back
Top Bottom