7/22 CSSP incident follow-up...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First, I did not intend to label CSSP as a dangerous spot. It is a hole in the ground filled with water.

Second, by no means am I advocating or suggesting any sort of regulations by any governmental body.

Thirdly, I agree whole-heartedly that the divers at CSSP are a great group and I would hope divers everywhere would have reacted in just the same way...

Texdiveguy summed it up perfectly when he said we need to never get complacent... use your head and have fun...

When you decend below the surface you are entering an environment which is hostile... You must be prepared to handle the challenges which you face... I am only asking the question as to whether we need to pause and remember this is not a giant swimming pool... have we become lax in insisting those around us, whether new or experienced divers, give the activity the respect it demands for all of our safety and at the same time enjoy ourselves and have fun?

Charlie

blackinks13:
As Alan said, this could have happened anywhere. For people who want to label CSSP as a dangerous spot, in this most recent incident, the fact that it was at CSSP may have saved this woman's life. Think about it. By the time the male diver came to the surface calling for help, there was a diver in the water within 30 seconds. By the time Alan got to her, there were already at least 6 other divers/DMs/instructors at the exit point of the water standing by to provide surface support, first aid, and O2. That is an extremely quick response for a recovery. Had this been anywhere else, it's luck of the draw whether or not another diver would be close enough to help, and also whether another instructor would be close enough to deploy O2. God forbid I ever have an incident, but if I do, I would much rather it be around a hell of a lot of divers who can assist when needed.

Very well put....good analogy! :wink:

chucksaul:
When you decend below the surface you are entering an environment which is hostile... You must be prepared to handle the challenges which you face... I am only asking the question as to whether we need to pause and remember this is not a giant swimming pool... have we become lax in insisting those around us, whether new or experienced divers, give the activity the respect it demands for all of our safety and at the same time enjoy ourselves and have fun?

Charlie

Wow..... way to kill a mood dude.

I bought a Special wind chime and I want you to hang up at Clear Springs and that should help bring world peace to a small area where arm chair divers from all over the park can be content, occupied, talk about the hostile environment of the lake and the dangers of diving and the Lax nature of the rest of us who are not suffering enough to save the world the way it should be saved. I hope it works then they will stay out of the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom