7-22-6 Spring Dives(Cypress?) - for the Brave!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pretty much the report I got earlier. Dove Morrison, guy there from Baton Rouge said there were a couple of boats yesterday, had to drag them over the sand, probably you.

Just got back from Vortex, End of the dive heavy rain, heavy thunder and lighting, lit up the whole spring.

I got rid of that 70's P.O.S. heavyboat with the 80hp. replaced it with a 16' Carolina skiff with a Honda 40 HP, still have the old standby canoe.

The guy from Baton Rouge was probably ClayJar? He was part of our group, he took his inflatable Kayak.

At the moment, the canoe would probably be the better option. Although if the skiff is fairly flat on the bottom, it might make it fine.

We sure did have a good time.

What I thought. Skiff is fiberglass flat bottom. It is back heavy as the upgrade from the standard 25 HP to 40 HP plus fuel tank.

I've dove Cypress many times in the past 10 years,

I should be working full time this next week, 10 - 12 hours a week.

Depends on weather , if it is good, the tides are right at Choc bay, 11 A.M. good for Reds.

Then mini season for bugs this week.

Cypress will be better next week as the high tides are early i.e. 4 A.M.

Morrison was productive this year. THere was a time when I dove for lead to cast dive weights, still have a 1 - 5 lb mold, no longer have the 6 lb rap around. Don't use hard lead anymore, make my own soft weigts.
Did pull about 35lbs of lead out of Morrison this year. People drop those 2 - 5 lbs they put in their pockets. I just cast about 6 lbs of sinkers and 6 lbs or 150 lead heads/jig head hooks, painted and ready for the Reds and Trout.

If I can't be under the water diving, I'll be on it fishing or around it camping.

Spent the last two holidays camping at Indian Pass, 5 days around the 4th. Have the rest of the years Holidays scheduled there, Not great for scuba, good for snorkel for scallops, oysters, great fishing. Pulled in several 15 lb cats the last day there.

Turnn on your speakers

http://www.goyk.com/flash.asp?path=445

ScubaKris:
Dove Morrison, guy there from Baton Rouge said there were a couple of boats yesterday, had to drag them over the sand, probably you.
That was probably me. If I had a yellow 19cf pony slung on my left side (or set by the pavilion, near my little white car with the CLAYJAR plates), it was certainly me. :D

When you're coming out of the cave there is a tunnel just to the left. We used to take pride in free diving and going through that tunnel. I don't remember how deep it was.

SuPrBuGmAn:
SY's correct though, snorkels.... just a big ole straw if you're a real diver :wink:
I agree...mine stayed at home. I hardly ever use the thing...snorkel-keeper gets all tangled in my hair.

Tom Smedley:
When you're coming out of the cave there is a tunnel just to the left. We used to take pride in free diving and going through that tunnel. I don't remember how deep it was.

Bout 15' deep :wink:

That was probably me. If I had a yellow 19cf pony slung on my left side (or set by the pavilion, near my little white car with the CLAYJAR plates), it was certainly me.

I guess it was ClayJar, I normally sling a 30 when going in the caverns/caves. I was just getting wet there, I had the Black 50 on, then I went to Vortex and put on a 63.

Let me know when you are heading out this way again, we can hit the cavern

From the sound of it, I might end up in the springs again this weekend. No idea when I'll find out for sure, but J.'s family is supposed to get wet this weekend. (Her dad says he'll have his new [to him] compressor, but I'd bet two Vortex fill cards he will not have gotten to having the air tested, and I'll no more accept untested air from a new-to-him compressor than I'll stick a K-valve on my CO2 cylinder and try to dive that... but that may just be me.)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom