60' poor viz vs. 100' good viz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only time I got really anxious about low to no viz, was on a day when the viz was too poor to dive at all, but the anchor was not coming free while pulling on it from the surface. I put my gear back on and pulled myself down the anchor line. When I got to the chain (which is 20' long) there was no visibility, I could barely see my hands. I pulled myself further until I was in total darkness. Right before I gave up and decided the anchor was not worth it, I felt it with my hands and dislodged it from what felt like steel cable. All I can figure is that the anchor had fallen into a hole in the ship and that is what I pulled myself down into. There are some big 10 x !0 square holes from where the superstructure had been cut off before sinking it.

When I got back to the boat with the anchor and was safely aboard, I had an "after the fact" panic attack, but during the process I kept my cool fairly well.

I can see your point about wanting cover for spearfishing, but I'm talking about passing through a slit cloud that's so thick you lose your divebuddy 2 ft away and feel like you're just suspended there, even though you're still finning. I guess because of drought conditions and lack of water movement it's been worse this year. Any time that I get good vis, like out on the Gulf at a rig, I feel like a kid in a candy store.

I have a friend who experienced vertigo this way, though. The water was so clear he had the similar 'suspended' feeling I had in the silt cloud. So, the idea of diving multiple environments is always a sound one.

I can also relate to the "after the fact" panic attack. I had that happen when some old fishing monofilament grabbed me and wanted to wrestle one day.

My buddy and I try and dive in as many different conditions as possible. We are still trying to find a definition of "good Visability". Preparation is the key. Every dive is a "new" dive and we try and learn from each dive. Alot of times we are in unfamilliar territory with just a depth reading, current conditions and area profiles according to the charts.

The great lakes give you the whole gammit: sometimes good vis, sometimes warm, sometimes very cold etc.....

seadoggirl:
Doesn't what you are doing underwater have a lot to do with it? When I have my camera with me I'm hoping for the clearest water I can find on the planet. When I have my speargun I'm wanting less vis for cover to get the better fish. I also don't know that either vis prepares you for all situations. I'm a warm water girl and can't imagine what you guys in the Great Lakes go through. I would love to have the experience of cold water but I got to tell ya, I'm chicken when it comes to that COLD!
Once you're in a dry suit the cold isn't so noticeable.

Vis here is routinely 5-10 feet but now that the water is cooling off the vis is steadily improving. Last night we were treated to 25' and that's just about as good as it gets around here.

With those kinds of numbers any dive below 100' becomes a night dive and at 132' on a WWII battleship that's been on the bottom for 63 years, covered in anchor lines, it can be nerve wracking at times.

Anything over 10 ft is considered great around Jersey

New Jersey? I'll bet your trash problem is as bad as ours. Add a condom to your 'Save-A-Dive" kit to cover the medical waste dumps. I'll probably get smacked for this.

Diving by Braile.....Sometimes it's hard not to touch when you can't see what you are not suppose to touch...

For a good clear water disorienting challang dive Valhalla a few times. I finally got comfortable enought to enjoy it on my 3rd dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom