60-68 degree water - semi-dry or drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have surfed in cold water (down to 38 f) my entire life and I thought I had a good tolerance for cold when I started diving, and wore my winter surfing suits (6 mil). I quickly learned that was not sufficient for bottom temps around 50 degrees after a couple of bouts with hypothermia, and bought a used DUI.

At this point, I'll only dive in a wetsuit when the water is around 75 f. or above. I dive in the Florida caves a lot, where the water temperature is 69 f year round, and I absolutely need the drysuit for those dives. As soon as you stop moving, you start getting cold, even at that temperature. I've got a trilam suit that I use for traveling or warmer water, a DUI CF-200 for here in the Northeast, and an Atlan neoprene drysuit that I had made custom about ten years ago for cave diving. The Altan is the only one I bought new. The trilam, I bought for $200 when I local dive shop closed, and the DUI came off ebay, and was evidently in some fire department closet and had never touched the water. Lots of people buy drysuits and then get out of diving, I'd look for a used one in good shape. Those older CF-200's last forever, you'll spend some money on seals and perhaps a zipper but you'll still save a lot if you find a good one used.

i might go a crushed neoprene like the scubapro everdry, as min around here is only 60F, i have been in a 5mm in 16f and was cold but not shivering. so i think a neoprene drysuit should be enough.

Of course the thickness of one's wetsuit or the use of a drysuit is a reflection of one's personal comfort level. For some with thin bodies that quickly radiate off heat, a 7mm wetsuit or even a drysuit might be required for those temps. For those blessed with sufficient "bioprene" like myself, I'd choose a 3/2mm or a 5mm for those temperatures.

i might go a crushed neoprene like the scubapro everdry, as min around here is only 60F, i have been in a 5mm in 16f and was cold but not shivering. so i think a neoprene drysuit should be enough.

Not sure if you did a search on the board.
Check this link on Shell (trilam) vs neoprene.
My take on it: My Post
One more: Another post

My preference is Suits by Santi and Undergarments by Fourth Element.

With either one, be sure to wear proper undergarments made for drysuits. The undergarments not only needs to wick the moisture away, but keep the moisture away from your skin!!! No cotton!! Let us know when you are ready for that discussion.

Hope this helps.

I would go for a semi if I were you. Maybe a 7mm. I dive easily in 55 degrees with my 7mm. The semidry is cheaper then the drysuit also...But buy a 7mm in stead of your 5mm. Then I think you would be fine..
And a hood offcours..

I'd try an extra layer with lavacore, and most definitely a hood.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom