6 Tips to improve Buoyancy & Trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That video says "An AOW student". No way Pedro. Knees-bent, fins flat isn't taught at AOW by normal trainers. That's someone with a lot of experience who's also had lots of training, practice and coaching.
1687683457913.png

Main tips are: Practice. Practice. Practice. A pool is fine.

Your objective: be completely still in the water. Requires good trim, good weighting and good breath control.

He didn't mention posture, but her body is flat from shoulders to knees. She's maintaining a little tension in her glutes in order to do that. I wonder if she's a GUE Rec class student?

That video says "An AOW student". No way Pedro. Knees-bent, fins flat isn't taught at AOW by normal trainers.
Once again, confirmation that I am not "normal". :)

That posture is how I aspired to dive when I did AOW, with inspiration from SB and too much YouTube, not at the urging of my instructor.

However, my instructor encouraged this trim and gave me some pointers.

So, in my limited experience, the choice of trim & posture & buoyancy may come from the student, not just the instructor.

This looks exactly like the stuff GUE teaches. This is a screenshot from my Doubles Primer workbook. Fundamentals and drysuit primer have very similar pictures.

I checked some of the other videos on the channel, looks like this instructor is basically teaching a fundamentals class in their AOW, without the ton of added stress of taking a GUE class. Looks like the equipment is the same too.

Looks like a pretty good deal!

Screen Shot 2023-06-25 at 12.40.25 PM.png

Knees-bent, fins flat isn't taught at AOW by normal trainers.
That's how my OW students looked after their first pool session. If you teach it right from the beginning, you don't have to help them unlearn bad habits.

Once again, confirmation that I am not "normal". :)

That posture is how I aspired to dive when I did AOW, with inspiration from SB and too much YouTube, not at the urging of my instructor.

However, my instructor encouraged this trim and gave me some pointers.

So, in my limited experience, the choice of trim & posture & buoyancy may come from the student, not just the instructor.

Great work! May I suggest that instead of lowering your head to look at your computer and keeping it there, you raise your arm(s) a little higher or adjust the viewing angle so that you can see your computer and buddy/maintain situational awareness simultaneously. You can keep all of it in your line of sight or look slightly down only briefly.

That's one of the things worked on in Fundies. When someone's preoccupied or looking down, that's when they might get your buddy to "disappear". 😁

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom