6/27/09 7th Annual Venice Beach and Birthday Dive Bash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems to me that any group coming together to monopolize a section of the beach could describe any large-size family gathering... Last year's event that had the permit seemed like a "big deal" in that there were commercial dive operators involved, banners with SB name, raffle prizes, etc... Like a real PR trick...

That's not really what we're up to for this one, and I hope this event never really turns into anything like that. It's just a bunch of SB friends coming together to dive and celebrate birthdays. Just my two cents.

The phrase for the day "I don't know those people:D"

tracey. Thank you for clarifying the situation. i was not aware it was a single person that caused so much trouble.

Yup. And really it wasn't a lot of trouble per say just a lot of last minute education for me from the parks department, running around, and last minute changes to the original plan. In the end it worked out better as we are now an informed group :) We were also able to give back by cleaning up the beach/ocean. We had people coming by regulary clearing our trash and taking what we had collected from the waters. So it was all good.

Even then, we did not monopolize the area.
I don't see how we would need a permit as we do not monopolize the area. Lots of people not affaliated with SB have been alongside us many many times both for the Birthday bash and the Turkey fry. And again like Kris said, we are just a bunch of friends coming together to dive and have a good time.

I understand what you are saying and this is exactly the argument I made with the people that run Venice. The exact same argument. More than a few people congregating together are a group. As a group you need a permit. Know that our contact at the parks is a diver and she is a member of this very board. I will dig up her info so that you might contact her for your permit. Personally, I don't think it would bode well if you were asked for a permit and did not have one handy knowing that it is a requirment.

As for tables; after the birthday bash last year, it was left that I'd probably be doing this event this year. Seems something changed... No worries though. That said, after the TurkeyFry, which was sponsored by ScubaQuest, SQ and I spoke and they asked to be involved in anymore events I/SB put together... I had planned on contacting them for tents and tables for this event however, since I am not doing the event you are certainly more than welcome to contact them. They are a fabulous group of people who will have the entire set-up ready upon everyone's arrival. So if you would like to use their tables and tents, let me know and I will get in touch with them and forward them on to you. Also fwiw Aristakat is a commercial operator...

Note whoever is taking care of the event, I'd suggest not being on the first boat for diving. Someone has to be in charge of setting things up properly.

Last edited:
Tracey, we always give back by cleaning up the ocean each and every time we dive at Venice Beach or any other location. It's our responsibility as stewards of the planet, wet or dry. That being said, who needs to be contacted at permitting? I really wish this hadn't even come up. We don't want to create some publicity stunt for Scubaboard - just a birthday party and friends getting together to dive. We've never had any problems before in th 5+ years of doing the birthday party and turkey fry. It really saddens me that this is becoming some beaurocratic shin-dig. <sigh> Gotta love the government, I guess.

Frustratedly yours,

Kris

Whooo hoo! Looking forward to seeing my friends and diving with them, followed by some good chit chat and food! Life IS good!

Me, too! :)

Jenny, is there a way to put an updated list as to who's bringing what in the first Post so it's easier to keep an eye on? Maybe we could have the boat dive list, too? Would you mind? :D Thanks!

Me, too! :)

Jenny, is there a way to put an updated list as to who's bringing what in the first Post so it's easier to keep an eye on? Maybe we could have the boat dive list, too? Would you mind? :D Thanks!

I can do that, if you'd like. Let me know. I hope the event is a huge success. :)

Well, not toward the end but June 9th...

Where are the out of towners staying?

Looks like I might make it! I fly in from Monterey (Kelp dive) on Thursday night so it is definately doable to drive down on Friday. Anyone have a spare bed for the Missus and me? I can get a room for Saturday night but Friday might be tight....I'll buy the steaks (for Friday night...)!

**Same topic threads merged**

I'll be bringing some tables, shade and my beach hand truck. I haven't decided on what to bring foodwise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom