6/27/09 7th Annual Venice Beach and Birthday Dive Bash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out Basic Scuba Discussions. I'm sure you can find a snorkel there.. maybe even some split fins! :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Finally, anyone with umbrellas, tents, etc. that can add some shade for the food is always good............

Krista,

Be careful about putting a tent up on the beach in Venice. Some jerk reported Scubaboard for not having permit to put up a tent last year. :shakehead:

Some people are vindictive and spiteful.

Krista,

Be careful about putting a tent up on the beach in Venice. Some jerk reported Scubaboard for not having permit to put up a tent last year. :shakehead:

ach! This is one of those 10x10 canopy's not an actual tent. It's a day shade that we've erected several times for personal and "anyone who fits under it" shade...

Krista,

I believe that was all straightened out. That was also at a different place than where we are having this one, and if I remember correctly, the incident had to do with the city and their ordinences. The past 5 years we have had tents and there has never been a problem.

yes, some people are and it's a sad state that we can't all just get along.
(singing kumbaya)

I believe that was all straightened out. That was also at a different place than where we are having this one, and if I remember correctly, the incident had to do with the city and their ordinences. The past 5 years we have had tents and there has never been a problem.

Jenny it was straightened out and in the end for the better so that person didn't "win". However, it wasn't the place that was a problem. It does not matter where you have your gathering at Venice; YOU MUST HAVE A PERMIT! As the lady stated to me last year; "In previous years you guys have been lucky". Your tent size thus far is fine. However, any group of people coming together that will monopolize a section or area of the beach MUST HAVE A PERMIT.

All that trash we have left, though bagged, in previous years, they don't like that. :no: They want extra man power to keep it cleaned up. With a permit and number of people attending they can gauge their man-power and they can be sure to have someone on clean-up duty at our site.

I seriously busted butt last year and jumped through hoops to get the permit situation worked out in time for that particular event (turkey fry) - thanks to our "anonymous" friend. In the end, it simply let me know what to do for next time and I made a new friend at the permit place :D If you would like, I can get you the contact information for the person you would need to speak with. Just shoot me a pm. :) Lastly, if you do go forward without a permit, under the name of ScubaBoard and you are fined...:no: Let's just say, I don't think Howard or NetDoc would be much too pleased.

As a final note, the fee for for an event is mildly costly. Doing something to "payback" the beach can go a long way in getting your permit FOC :crafty:

As for those tables; I could probably help ya there too...

Woo-hoo! We are soooo looking forward to this! My brother will be joining us for the day, too. Since Colin and I will be on the 8:00 am boat, are there any volunteers who will be there early to help my brother keep an eye on the Bulla Boys? The drop-off always makes me a little nervous, so I'd feel much better knowing there were extra eyes about. Just call me "mom." :wink:

Jenny, our van will be full to the brim with peeps... Any chance of stashing some gear in your trunk for the drive to Venice?

We will have a cooler full of Capri Suns for the munchkins and water for us. We can grab some turkey and ham lunch meat and some bread for sandwiches.

It seems to me that any group coming together to monopolize a section of the beach could describe any large-size family gathering... Last year's event that had the permit seemed like a "big deal" in that there were commercial dive operators involved, banners with SB name, raffle prizes, etc... Like a real PR trick...

That's not really what we're up to for this one, and I hope this event never really turns into anything like that. It's just a bunch of SB friends coming together to dive and celebrate birthdays. Just my two cents.

tracey. Thank you for clarifying the situation. i was not aware it was a single person that caused so much trouble. I was under the impression it was the event itself, and as Kris pointed out, commerical diver operators involved. Even then, we did not monopolize the area.
I don't see how we would need a permit as we do not monopolize the area. Lots of people not affaliated with SB have been alongside us many many times both for the Birthday bash and the Turkey fry. And again like Kris said, we are just a bunch of friends coming together to dive and have a good time.

That being said, I don't want to put any kind of damper or ill feelings on this or any other event, so if there is going to be pot shots taken, please go to PM or someplace else, not on this thread. Thanks in advance!

Kris, wil be able to haul some gear for ya. No problemlo there.

Food and Supplies
CoolTech and KBeck-one 10x10 canopy, some plywood cut into 2x6' (maybe 2x8') and saw horses. We have either 24' or 32' of table space that is 2' wide, Case of Diet Coke (not Pepsi! ), bottled water, pulled pork & BBQ sauce

Me-Birthday cake (Please let me know if your birthday is near the end of June so we can celebrate with you!) KBulla, Joyce, Rickelpickel and Rickelpickel's wife.

MissDirected - tables

KBulla and clan - Capri Suns for the munchkins, lunch meats

8:00 AM
1. Me
2. Hermit Crab
3. CBulla
4. KBulla
5. Cardzard
6. Roxanne
7. DennisS

10:00 AM
1. H2Andy