(6/15/05) Jewfish: 1 Spearfisherman: 0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustJoe:
A quick question for you then. Have you ever been in a low vis dive where out of nowhere a big bull shark came by and checked you out? When do you think he knew you were there?

Even if you have a bang stick, and scuba and whatever else you take, you are still not as aware of your surroundings as this shark. He smells you, senses your presence long before you know he is there. You are lower on the food chain, even with your higher brain functions. The apex predator could attack you before you even knew it was there.

Just a thought.

Joe

The real issue that arises here is not whether some person gets smacked by a fish, or that sharks have better perception under water, but that people begin to see these creatures as a threat. Historically mankind makes threats extinct.....there are no living creatures that prey upon mankind, we, as a species, saw to that some millenia ago...

adurso:
Historically mankind makes threats extinct.....there are no living creatures that prey upon mankind, we, as a species, saw to that some millenia ago...

Hmm, man-eating tigers, bull sharks up the Delhi River ... we're prey in their space.

As far as the extinct issue ... look what we did to the velociraptor ... totally extinct. :eyebrow:

darylm74:
It's all good till someone develops an underwater long range rifle (well long range for underwater) or develops a shoulder launched torpedo system.............sure there is some guy in a treestand taking aim at 12 point buck thinking about that.......somewhere....on a cold November morning..."This cold chit is for the birds....lets go Jewfish hunting in the gulf with this new underwater high powered, laser scoped semi-automatic rifle." :)) Have us a fish roast!!

Oh great; combine that with hard drinking before hand and we'll be all set. Some Jack Daniels in an underwater canteen. ALL I need.

Doctor: "So... wait... you were UNDERWATER when you got shot in the butt? What were you, diving near a Navy base?"

Me: (sigh) "No... see, I was taking some pictures and these two guys had a stand set up in the kelp... I had my orange vest on but they thought I was a garibaldi."

Can we retitle this thread: Jewfish 1, Redneck Idiot 0?

ILDiver:
Wow, I think the guys last statement was taken WAY out of context. Stop and look at the sign and the smiles on their faces. I think his comments were tounge in cheek, or tounge in lip. I think he was JOKINGLY saying he wanted revenge on the fish. I think his buddies gave him a hard time about his near miss and he was having fun with it. You all assume he is an idiot. He had heard the thumping before and nothing happened, he did not seem to know what it meant (he does now). I probably wouldn't have, I thought they were dosile creatures. Just because he was uneducated on the fish does not make him an idiot. I guess I read the article with a different mindset. His comments made me laugh, but for a different reason.
WHAT? You mean that the media twisted this all around and made what should of been a blubbering idiot story into a newstory??? Surely Not! Gasp!

Ishie:
Oh great; combine that with hard drinking before hand and we'll be all set. Some Jack Daniels in an underwater canteen. ALL I need.

Doctor: "So... wait... you were UNDERWATER when you got shot in the butt? What were you, diving near a Navy base?"

Me: (sigh) "No... see, I was taking some pictures and these two guys had a stand set up in the kelp... I had my orange vest on but they thought I was a garibaldi."

You're killing me. Coming to the back of some Dive rag near you:

My name is Ken - I'm the National Sales Manager for the outdoor products company RealUSA. We're developing a "RealKelp" tree stand for the waters of the cool Pacific Coast, and a "RealSand" Blind set up for the warm waters of the gulf / east coast.

We're also working on a "RealWreck" blind designed expecially for GG hunting. Its the perfect companion for our Thump Box GG call. This pocket size device fits onto your LP hose (using a standard host fitting, of course) and imitates the thumps of a young male Jewfish. It draws the giant males like a magnet to your "RealWreck" blind.

Don't forget to visit our booth at DEMA 2005 - we'll have the Laker Girls modeling our new line of Real exposure suits (wet suits, skins and drysuits) - suits in our top selling patterns, guaranteed to make you invisible to your prey. Patterns include "RealKelp", "RealWreck" (in three distinct patterns with faux aging... for the new wreck, 1 - 4 year old wreck and the 5+ year old wreck...) and "RealSand". New for 2005 will be "RealReef", also available in three designer patterns (Coz, Bonaire and Belize)

At RealUSA, our goal is to tip the balance in your favor, and let you leverage your right as an apex preditor in any environment. At RealUSA, our slogan, "Because We're Smarter Than Fish" is more than a marketing motto, its our passionate commitment to provide today's underwater hunter with the tools to succeed.

RealUSA

---
Ken

mxracer19:
I have never seen a swimming squirrel.

Evidently you've never seen the old CNN waterskiing squirrel bit. Poor little guy had to get on the waterski somehow didn't he? Swim Rocky, swim!

JustJoe:
You are lower on the food chain, even with your higher brain functions. The apex predator could attack you before you even knew it was there.
Odd perception... the attached photo was taken in 1962. Since then I've eaten quite a bit of shark, though it isn't my favorite. Quit eating them in the 80's. Still, as food goes, so far I'm way ahead.
I don't plan to change that.
e

willydiver:
The PCs would flip out with what the locals call the lowly hog choker and lizard fish...

WD

Whatever would we do about the "Slippery Dick"?

[image]http://www.strangesports.com/images/content/10411.jpg[/image]

Tavi:
There are some places on Earth where we are gifted to be able to visit. However, in these places we are not at the top of the food chain, we are just a part of it. The Oceans and the Canadian wilderness are a couple of these places.

I enjoy taking picture of Sharks. If one ever gets aggressive with me I'm outta there. After all, I'm just a visitor in his part of the world. :crafty:

The only Jew Fish I ever saw was dead. It was big though. I can only imagine that if a fish that size thumped at me, I'd have to say okay, see ya.

hmmmmm......................Anyone ever do a wreck penetration and find one blocking their path on the way back out?? :11:

tavi,
there was a time when a diver would do a penetration on the hms/rhone in the bvi's, that a very large jewfish would meet you coming out.
last time i was down there a dive op told me the fish had been taken by a spearhunter who got caught and punished.
regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom