(6/15/05) Jewfish: 1 Spearfisherman: 0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adurso:
The real issue that arises here is not whether some person gets smacked by a fish, or that sharks have better perception under water, but that people begin to see these creatures as a threat. Historically mankind makes threats extinct.....there are no living creatures that prey upon mankind, we, as a species, saw to that some millenia ago...

adurso,
polar bears are not afraid of man and they are not extinct...........yet.
regards,

Epinephelus:
Odd perception... the attached photo was taken in 1962. Since then I've eaten quite a bit of shark, though it isn't my favorite. Quit eating them in the 80's. Still, as food goes, so far I'm way ahead.
I don't plan to change that.
e

I understand your point. I am sorry that I cannot articulate myself in a fashion that you can understand my point. I will agree that we, humans, are THE dominant predator on the planet. We have accomplished this with the use of tools and our cogitative abilities.

With that said, we are not the only predator underwater, and the winner between a human and a shark is not written in stone. For example, you spear a big fish. Your spear is still lodged in that fish and all of a sudden a big shark cruises in to see what's on the menu. How dominant are you? Do you swim the tiger/bull/gw down and muscle it out of the water? No. To take it a step further, you witness an awesome strike by a big predator underwater, do you take the initiative and step in to claim your prize. I won't. An apex predator will and does.

We (humans) and big predators make some very similar choices. In my example above I will concede my catch because at that point I am not prepared to defend my food. I don't want to make a mistake and have a bite taken out of me, even if the intent of the shark is to win his prize. That action is the same one that a shark will make in certain circumstances.

All I am saying is that no matter how smart we are and what kind of tools we use, there are bigger bears waiting for us to make a mistake. Underwater, that apex predator is waiting.

Regards,
Joe

smokey braden:
adurso,
polar bears are not afraid of man and they are not extinct...........yet.
regards,

Because mankind has chosen not to inhabit their territory............yet. There is still space for them. Give it time.

Joe

JustJoe:
Because mankind has chosen not to inhabit their territory............yet. There is still space for them. Give it time.

well... the ice caps will start melting soon enough... and then...

the polar bears will be sol

of course, so will those of us living in low, coastal areas... but...

JustJoe:
For example, you spear a big fish. Your spear is still lodged in that fish and all of a sudden a big shark cruises in to see what's on the menu. How dominant are you?
That depends, doesn't it? Do you want to be dominant? Or do you want to let the shark be? If you have decided beforehand to be prepared, with a 12Ga bang stick, for example, you can be dominant and kill the shark. Or perhaps you've decided in advance to give up your catch if a shark wants it (I recommend this course of action - much less messy). But the decision is yours and you are in charge unless you decide to forfeit that position.
Certainly one can, through ignorance, negligence or choice place themselves right squarely in the middle of the "food chain." It just isn't a necessary part of diving.
e

lord1234:
Can we retitle this thread: Jewfish 1, Redneck Idiot 0?

We informally did:

Epinephelus:
You may choose to enter the middle of the food chain if you like.
I choose to remain on top, and will equip myself accordingly. That may be armament, or brain power (adequate education and planning), or more likely a combination of the two. To accept a lesser position is not necessary for a thinking human.
e

Being part of the food chain is not something you have a choice in. No matter how armed or prepared you are, you may not see it coming.

I believe in being prepared to defend myself in some situations too. I haven't felt it neccesary to do so underwater yet.

We would sink!!! And what are these gills we have for, if not for swimming!!

As for if a diver can match up with a Jewfish I guess it depends upon what weapons the diver is running around with. Equipped with a regulator, and some gloves I'd say the fish has a definate edge.

As for shooting a Jewfish, it's protected. If killing a Jewfish is anything like poaching Elk here in Colorado, fines generally start at about $3000, and I read about a guy the other day that was convicted of killing two Elk in season but without tags, and he paid 6K in fines, and did 10 days in jail.

Scuba_Jenny:
WHAT? You mean that the media twisted this all around and made what should of been a blubbering idiot story into a newstory??? Surely Not! Gasp!

I meant I think the guys comments were taken out of context by people on this board. Everyone read it as some dumb redneck who didn't have a clue. Probably based partly on how he looked.

I read the story and viewed the images and figured he knew how silly the situation was and made some comments in for fun. Maybe I read it with my sence of humor in mind. I took the hunting them for human safety as a joke, some people seem to think he is a good ole boy out to kill all living creatures.

I'm choosing to view the story as a humorous one that the guy can see the lighter side of. Look at his picture with the signs, that looks like two buddies having a laugh about it. Think of the nicknames this guy must have now!!!

Lighten up people, as they say, life is one big adventure and you'll never come out alive!

ILDiver:
I meant I think the guys comments were taken out of context by people on this board. Everyone read it as some dumb redneck who didn't have a clue. Probably based partly on how he looked.

I read the story and viewed the images and figured he knew how silly the situation was and made some comments in for fun. Maybe I read it with my sence of humor in mind. I took the hunting them for human safety as a joke, some people seem to think he is a good ole boy out to kill all living creatures.

I'm choosing to view the story as a humorous one that the guy can see the lighter side of. Look at his picture with the signs, that looks like two buddies having a laugh about it. Think of the nicknames this guy must have now!!!

Lighten up people, as they say, life is one big adventure and you'll never come out alive!

I think the guys (looks and physique aside) are poking some good natured, self deprecating fun at the situation. I agree - I don't honestly think that the two "hunters" are on some Capt'n Ahab obsessive deathwish white whale hunt or anything.

I think some of our posters are a little over the edge, too - the whole "I'll dive with whatever weapons and technological means necessary to keep from getting munched, I am human hear me roar" stuff.

Heck - I was way over the edge applying a WWF slant to fish wrestling.

It is about having fun here at SB - and this thread has delivered more laughs to me than all of the SSI v PADI LeisurePro Tank Exploding Which Drysuit threads combined. I think we all lightened up a bit in this one.

All y'all - you guys rule. Thanks for the laughs.

---
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom