(6/15/05) Jewfish: 1 Spearfisherman: 0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divesherpa:
What's the deal with the name change? I still call them Jewfish, none of my Jewish friends seem to mind. What gives?
"Jewfish" is no longer "politically correct." Never bothered me, & I'm Jewish!

I did hear about how they were named "Jewfish", though (I always thought is was a joke because of the size of their mouths). Apparently, J-fish, AKA "Goliath" Groupers (had to keep some part of the history running) are exceedingly clean fish, & were (until they entered the endangered, don't -you-dare-kill them list) prized by Orthodox Jewry for this trait. _Told to me by another Jew.

The change elicited a very funny comment from an african-american friend regarding black grouper. -Please, one and all: No racial or religious slurs meant, hopefully none taken.

ya think they will change it to African American grouper now??
PC is getting just a little ridiculous

JustJoe:
I understand your point. I am sorry that I cannot articulate myself in a fashion that you can understand my point. I will agree that we, humans, are THE dominant predator on the planet. We have accomplished this with the use of tools and our cogitative abilities.

With that said, we are not the only predator underwater, and the winner between a human and a shark is not written in stone. For example, you spear a big fish. Your spear is still lodged in that fish and all of a sudden a big shark cruises in to see what's on the menu. How dominant are you? Do you swim the tiger/bull/gw down and muscle it out of the water? No. To take it a step further, you witness an awesome strike by a big predator underwater, do you take the initiative and step in to claim your prize. I won't. An apex predator will and does.

We (humans) and big predators make some very similar choices. In my example above I will concede my catch because at that point I am not prepared to defend my food. I don't want to make a mistake and have a bite taken out of me, even if the intent of the shark is to win his prize. That action is the same one that a shark will make in certain circumstances.

All I am saying is that no matter how smart we are and what kind of tools we use, there are bigger bears waiting for us to make a mistake. Underwater, that apex predator is waiting.

Regards,
Joe

That's why I carry my pony, I'll just stuff it in that Apex Predator's mouth and when he bites down... bye bye baby! At least I saw it done in a movie once.

Scuba_Jenny:
ya think they will change it to African American grouper now??
PC is getting just a little ridiculous

That's what my friend was wondering, with a few exceedingly (and not postable) side-comments!

hmmm... this is a tough one for me

perhaps the origins of the name was anti-Semitic, but these days?

i wouldn't mind a Cuban crocodile, or a Spanish hogfish (hey... wait... :wink:)

last i checked "Jew" was not a curse word, right? i could be wrong, just asking

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom