5mm for warm water.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive a 3mm full suit down to mid-70s, a 5mm down to high 60s, and a 7mm below that. The key to flexibility is a hood and a hooded vest that can be combined with any of the above to adjust of being a bit cold. Nothing beats your own proven system. Experiment and get it right for you. I hate being cold and tend to aim toward a bit warm.

Call me a wimp, but we just back from Curacao were the water temp was 81* and used a 5/7mm with a 1mm vest and hood.

Like the others have stated "You can never be to warm".........

OK, you're a wimp. Now you happy?

Ya i was thinking a 3 full suit with a 3 or even 5 hood vest that should cover me for most any diving around here.
I dive a 3mm full suit down to mid-70s, a 5mm down to high 60s, and a 7mm below that. The key to flexibility is a hood and a hooded vest that can be combined with any of the above to adjust of being a bit cold. Nothing beats your own proven system. Experiment and get it right for you. I hate being cold and tend to aim toward a bit warm.

It all depends on your own cold tolerance. I was just in Hawaii, with water temps of around 73 degrees. One divemaster I was with wore a 5mm and 3mm, and still was cold (especially when he did tech dives). He said he was even cold in 86 degree water in Micronesia, and he intends to dive dry again. Another person I dove with, Scubadrew of this board, was perfectly comfortable without a wetsuit. He just swam around looking like a beach bum....... :D

I'm more like the colder guy. I was really cold with just the 3mm and "pretty cold" when I added my DUI drysuit hood on top. I once dove for about an hour and a half in 80 degree water in the 3mm and got really cold. (I'm 6'2" and 155 lbs)

I'm seriously thinking about selling my 3mm and going all drysuit. The 3mm seems to be useless for me, except for snorkeling. The only value I could see in buying thicker suit (say, a 5mm or maybe a 6.5 semidry like the Mares Isotherm) would be for the summertime tropics where water temperatures are high (e.g. Bonaire, among many others). But even then, I've got to wonder if it's worth the extra money.

Ok thanks to one of you guys i found a site that has a stock 6x wetsuit. That will fit me just fine i think even th 5x might fit. But the only one they have big enugh is in a 5mm is that to much for the florida key's water. i was told to expect 70degrees for my ow cert. in march i plan atleast one or two more florida key dives this summer. Might even go to caymen on a cruise. Will the 5mm be to much.
Now i also plan to dive local which for indiana could mean water from 60 o 75 degrees.
Yeah, it would be just awful to be TOOO warm under water. Not.

I went to Australia in the summer time - wore a full 5mm suit the whole time (I got a free suit, just happened to be a 5mm, so that's what I had), in water that was 80F+. Dived 5 times a day some days. Did 50 dives, over a span of about 18 days. Not once did I feel even remotely "too warm" when I was underwater.

I did find the 5mm rather bulky to travel with though. When I got home, sometime later (like, um, 4 years later) I bought a full 3mm suit. I have not used it yet though. I'm planning to take it with me to Cozumel real soon. I HAD figured that it would be more than sufficient - but now some of the posts of people on here have me wondering. Crap, that sucker was $300. I hope it's not too cold in Cozumel - otherwise, hell, I dunno where else I would wear it. I guess I could take my hood, just in case - but man, if I have to drag my 5mm suit down there - then that means my 3mm suit is entirely worthless. It also means that my wife in her 3mm suit may be cold - esp. since she doesn't have a hood. FWIW, I did 4 dives in Florida in September with no wetsuit at all and was plenty warm (water was 86F). I don't remember if my wife wore her wetsuit - but I believe she did. So - thoughts? Is 3mm likely to be good enough for Coz, this month, for about 15 dives over the span of a week?

Thanks!
ND

As many others have said the 5mm should be good for Florida. For me it would be a bit too much for most of the Caribbean. I don't get cold easy but once I do I am miserable. I have never used more then a 3mm in the Caribbean, even when I was in Bonaire doing 6-7 dives a day for the entire week. This largely depends on how easy you get cold, everyone is different. I have friends that wear a 5mm in Cozumel in July when the water temp is in the mid 80's.

I would suggest to get the 5mm for now you will need it for FL. Once you have made a few dives in the 5mm suit look at the actual water temp. did you get cold? too warm? This will give you a better idea how much suit you need.

Another thing to look at is how many dives you will make in a day and how many days in a row you will be diving. The more you dive the thicker suit you will want.

Will the 5mm be to much.

No. Ive never been anywhere in the world where the water is "too warm" for a 5mm suit.
If somehow you got too hot on a dive its easy to cool off by flushing. Too cold on the other hand you can do nothing about.

And from the temperatures you mentioned id likely be in a 7mm+7mm semi dry or drysuit.

My husband wore a 5mm wetsuit in the Keys in 68 degree water and was fine in that. He doesn't get cold easily.

I wore a merino-lined 3mm and a hood. The only dive that I felt cold was when I skipped the hood.

70 degrees isn't really warm if you're in for a while! I think a 5mm would be fine, and I second the suggestions for having some layering options in case you find that temp to be cold for you.

I 2nd or 3rd or 4th the notion that you cannot be too warm in the water. The water temp will always be colder than your body temp. It does come down to individual preference, water temp., depth, and time spent in the water. I tend to get a little chilly and prefer more warmth. The concept of sacrificing warmth for wetsuit flexibility can be resolved by the choice of wetsuit you prefer. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Pinnacle wetsuits. My 7 mm has to be one of the most flexible suits I have ever used. I was amazed at how much maneuverability I had in the suit. Incredible. In the past, suits were indeed very limiting. With the progression of more stretchable material, that issue is becoming a thing of the past.

I dove in the Caymans this past November, just after the hurricane passed. I wore my Pinnacle 3 mm and was a little chilly at depth (100 ft). I wish I had my 5mm. Breaking the neck seal allows for cooler water to enter and it is always easier to cool down in the water than to heat up in the water. Can't wait to go back to Cozumel this April :).

Ok thanks to one of you guys i found a site that has a stock 6x wetsuit. That will fit me just fine i think even th 5x might fit. But the only one they have big enugh is in a 5mm is that to much for the florida key's water. i was told to expect 70degrees for my ow cert. in march i plan atleast one or two more florida key dives this summer. Might even go to caymen on a cruise. Will the 5mm be to much.
Now i also plan to dive local which for indiana could mean water from 60 o 75 degrees.

I think its depending on what you are doing when your submerged. I have been in 72 degree water with a shorty (Totatly unanticipated) because the water above the thermocline was reading 91. I was a little on the child side but as I kept moving I was ok when I stopped is when I felt the cold.

I do have a 5mil and love it as its like a universal dive suit. It is a little warm for 80s and up and in the 70s is just about perfect. I have used it in water down to mid 40s and not had any problems what so ever. So if I were to recommend one for general purpose. it would be a 5mil.

Hope this helps!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom