5mm exposure suit in cold water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skydiver1

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Would a 5-4-3 long wet suit with jacket be warm enough for 50 degrees (around 11 degrees celsius) water? It's my warmest suit which I got for the Red Sea which had an average temp of around 22 degrees, and it wasnt that warm, but that was without a jacket

Thanks

It all depends on your bottom times and the way you handle cold. It would be too cold for me, I have a semi-dry 6.5mm and it gets cold quite quick in 11 degree waters. I would really suggest a semy-dry or even drysuit if you plan on doing a lot of cold dive. You want to be comfortable and warm while you dive, don’t torture yourself by trying to save a couple of $$$.

Those would definitely be dry suit temps for me. My 5mm Pinnacle is OK in the cenotes, about 76 F.

Depends on how deep you go. I did a whole slew of dives in 50* water in a 5mm for open water training this past spring. I can't say that I was comfortable, but it was also rare that I was descending below 30 feet since I was above the students. Certainly not my ideal sort of weather. You NEED a hood. That's not up for debate on that one. If I had a 5mm hooded vest I would have been fine on those dives. Arms and legs were very cold, but other than that, you should be relatively fine. Depends how deep you're going though, if you're going deepend than 30-40 feet, we usually recommend a 7mm farmer john, drysuit, or at least a full 7mm suit with a hooded vest.
The Deco Stop
act very very fast if you can, but you'll see some KILLER wetsuit prices in there. Yes they are legit

I don't deal well with temps in the 50's (I'm a card carrying warm-water wuss), however, I did a recent dive down below the thermocline in a local quarry, and recorded the temp at 52 Fahrenheit. I had a 5mm on with a 4mm hooded vest (which has a 6mm hood), and was comfortable.

XS Scuba Mens 3/4/6 PyroStretch Hooded Vest with Side Zipper

5mm is no good for 50F.

Even a 7mm is marginal at 50F, good for the first dive and progressively cooler for sequential dives if you dive below 50ft. Beefing the 7mm up with a hooded vest makes it usable.

5 mm will ruin your dives. Unless you are super resistant to cold water, you are not going to enjoy those dives.
I'm not particularly resistant to cold water.
I dove last weekend with 5 mm boots + 4 mm Farmer John + 2 mm hip tight + 3 mm hooded vest + 4 mm jacket + 5 mm shortie + 3 mm gloves in 14 degrees water up to 9 mts depth and at the end of the second dive of the day I was really cold and wishing to go to the hotel to take that hot shower that will take back my soul to my body.

5 mm will ruin your dives. Unless you are super resistant to cold water, you are not going to enjoy those dives.
I'm not particularly resistant to cold water.
I dove last weekend with 5 mm boots + 4 mm Farmer John + 2 mm hip tight + 3 mm hooded vest + 4 mm jacket + 5 mm shortie + 3 mm gloves in 14 degrees water up to 9 mts depth and at the end of the second dive of the day I was really cold and wishing to go to the hotel to take that hot shower that will take back my soul to my body.
Perhaps I misunderstand, but I count 16mm total on your torso... How did you even manage to breathe (and what brand crowbar did you use to don/doff all that rubber)?

Perhaps I misunderstand, but I count 16mm total on your torso... How did you even manage to breathe (and what brand crowbar did you use to don/doff all that rubber)?

Lets see,

3mm vest + 4 mm Farmer John + 4 mm jacket + 5 mm shortie = 16 mm

Hard to breathe on land, yes. No problem underwater.

I've dove in San Diego with a 7 mm full suit up to 30 meters depth (at that depth water temp was 9 degrees) and i was frozen.
Also I dove the Emerald reef in Miami, 8 meters depth, water temp 22 degrees with 4 mm FJ + 5 mm shortie + 3 mm gloves and I was OK.
Cold water kills me.

It may feel like there is no problem, at rest, underwater
till you get into trouble and your configuration kills you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom