58 years old, looking for fins to help with efficiency?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't used those specific fins, but they look pretty similar to a pretty common design among brands. May even be a little badge engineering going on there at the OEM factory.
Based purely on the photo, I would consider them to be entry level performance, maybe mid-range. (Please tell me you are wearing boots with them and not going barefoot...)
That current/swell you experienced may not be resolved by "better" fins, although it could be mitigated. In a strong current and/or chop, we are all working overtime.

A stiff fin usually has more potential power than a softer fin of a similar design. But if you aren't conditioned for that stiffness, you are more likely to cramp up until you get used to it. If you ever do.

As a general rule, the hinge designs from various manufacturers tend to be at the upper end of their price ranges, and pretty efficient, which translates to more power for less work. See my earlier post re: X-Stream

You can't fin in flip-flops: they fall off all the time and you have to dive to retrieve them. That is, anyone here finning in flip-flops, I can outfin them too.

Excellent literal observation. Thank you for your most astute analysis and advice. I’ll still take my chances on her going barefoot in an 800 butterfly race vs 99% of the “my fin is the best in the world” finners on the board.

FWIW I am 60 and use Jet fins. If I tire I just don't kick as hard or as fast.
The frog kick is easier on my knees, and more efficient.
You can adjust finning technique modified flutter, modified frog, etc.
I like being able to get more power when I need it, and I usually get more thrust than others even when kicking slower/easier.

A pair of soft fiberglass blades fins will give you great efficiency and won't be too hard to kick.

https://www.makospearguns.com/Pro-Fiberglass-Fins-Black-p/mpfgf-blk.htm

MPFGF-BLK-2T.jpg

You can't fin in flip-flops: they fall off all the time and you have to dive to retrieve them. That is, anyone here finning in flip-flops, I can outfin them too.
No, but they are perfect for snorkeling out with the current along the jetty with them in your catch bag, then flipping them on to walk back in on the jetty. OR, visa versa...………..

Subaquatic ballet is far gentler and more efficient with these than using pointes
full.jpg

How many opinions now? Almost as many as posts. Just go try a pair or two at your local dive store in the pool. Figure out which you like best. Good luck!

Best advice yet.
IMHO.

Right now I have six different sets of fins.
They each have their own personality, and they all deserve a stable caring home.
I give each one as much attention as I can, and I take them out for exercise regularly.
Please don't ask me to choose a favorite.
I love them all.

K
( 58 y.o. too )

Best advice yet.
IMHO.

Right now I have six different sets of fins.
They each have their own personality, and they all deserve a stable caring home.
I give each one as much attention as I can, and I take them out for exercise regularly.
Please don't ask me to choose a favorite.
I love them all.

K
( 58 y.o. too )

I'm 59, you young whippersnapper.

My favorite fins are the Deep 6 and the Hollis F1s. I dive them for their comfort and not their efficiency. Efficiency comes from technique. First, I go slow. Slower than anyone I know. i see more that way. I've had DMs become unglued that I won't keep up with them... I won't even try. I'll see them again at the end of the dive. :D Second, I use a lazy frog kick combined with an efficient trim angle and maintain perfect neutral buoyancy. You'll improve your efficiency just by getting flat in the water more than any fin can give you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom