58 years old, looking for fins to help with efficiency?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 more on using longblade freediving fins. Test them out first before purchasing though as the super soft ones may not be able to handle the extra weight and drag of scuba gear.

Not the best for tight spaces and for giant strides (gotta jump in without fins) but they really are easy on the legs.

I kinda wished I still had my plastic longblade fins but I traded them in for "actual scuba fins" since they're not very DIR compliant and I got tired of buddies telling me to slow down even though I'm purposely trying to ease up on my finning.

Dude live on the edge with your fins on, curl up with your face closer to the water than your arse
and dive in and keep going

It aint goin to be no Louganis but it sure gets you there

+1 more on using longblade freediving fins. Test them out first before purchasing though as the super soft ones may not be able to handle the extra weight and drag of scuba gear.

Not the best for tight spaces and for giant strides (gotta jump in without fins) but they really are easy on the legs.

I kinda wished I still had my plastic longblade fins but I traded them in for "actual scuba fins" since they're not very DIR compliant and I got tired of buddies telling me to slow down even though I'm purposely trying to ease up on my finning.
No doubt. Just like old style....I mean traditional scuba fins,:D ....all long blades are not created equal.
I prefer the carbon fiber, stiffer blade. Ankle twitches can move you as the blade has the surface area and will snap back, more so than a plastic or rubber blade. Haven’t used fiberglass blades so can’t give any feedback.

Moving all your weight to the back may make you rolly, let us know how it works out

This is what I was wondering. One time in Cozumel I had the guide add 3lbs to my tank strap and that threw me way off, always a rolly feeling.

Adding to tank band moves weight away from whatever you call the axis that is vertical when you stand. Worse if it is not centered on the tank. That is why trim pockets are as close as possible to your body.
An ankle weight on a tank valve is centered, and reasonably close to your body.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom