58 years old, looking for fins to help with efficiency?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And again, getting beat up by the current and swells does NOT automatically mean you must need “better” fins. How are the rest of your dive(s)?
2hcvm1.jpg

Excellent literal observation. Thank you for your most astute analysis and advice. I’ll still take my chances on her going barefoot in an 800 butterfly race vs 99% of the “my fin is the best in the world” finners on the board.

Sorry, too much coding this week, not enough human-speak. I see swimclub & triathlon club kids zoom past me in the next lane kicking barefoot, while I'm the one wearing zoomers.

Top 2 best fins: 1) pool membership, 2) a scooter.

And again, getting beat up by the current and swells does NOT automatically mean you must need “better” fins. How are the rest of your dive(s)?

Not bad but my feet and even more so my wife feet feel heavy and always lower then they should be. I was thinking about trying some Scubapro Seawing Nova's which are neutral.

Not bad but my feet and even more so my wife feet feel heavy and always lower then they should be. I was thinking about trying some Scubapro Seawing Nova's which are neutral.
Your heavy, lower feet might be a totally different issue. You may very well need to adjust your weighting/trim.
You have been diving enough that you should be able to answer this question without being in the water:
"Do you feel that if you stop finning/kicking, you will sink?"

If so, you are at the least out of trim, and possibly overweighted.

Belt or ingegrated? All at your waist, or are some weights higher up in trim pockets?
The more unnecessary weight you add to a belt or to a waist pouch, the more you are moving away from your center of balance and driving your butt down.

Hi all,

My wife and I are getting older at 58 and are looking for a good efficient, lightweight fin. Any thoughts/recommendations??

Thanks a bunch,

Marty

Hey young fellow...Marty...

I swear by OMS Slip-Stream...made from light monoprene...lots of power...S/S spring straps makes donning and doffing a snap...will last forever...not expensive by comparison...check Dive Gear Express...

Stay away from the composite type of fin that has rigid material and flexible material bonded together...lots of delamination problems with this type...

I'll be 70 on my next birthday...so having gear that is manageable is as important to me as it is to you and your wife...

Dive Safe...
Warren...

Here's a report on the Flying Force Fins. They are pricey, though. You might look for a pair of Force Fin Pros on eBay. You're definitely NOT going to find Flying Force Fins on eBay, but the Pro's can be found at a "reasonable" price.

Flying Force Fin Report

A pair of Force Fins Pro would be my choice and advice.

Even more reasons to get the jet fin then. Everyone wears them.
This is a massive exaggeration! I rarely see Jet Fins on recreational dive boats....for good reason, as far as I'm concerned.

This is a massive exaggeration! I rarely see Jet Fins on recreational dive boats....for good reason, as far as I'm concerned.
They are no longer the most dominant fin among the tech divers I see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom