50+ year old divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Started 8 years ago with my wife (a few years younger) and 3 teenaged boys.
We try to dive 2x a year all over Carribean.
Did our first LOB last year.
So far, after about 95 dives, Cozumel was #1 until we went to Turneffe Island Rssort in Belize this year. OMG. Perfect combination of luxurious surroundings and fantastic reefs. The Elbow and Half Moon Caye were the best we have ever seen.
I dive to relax. No blackberry. No stress. Deep breathing. Its my lazy-man's yoga.

Saw your post and took a look at Turneffe. OMG is right. But a little bit out of my price range. Oh well, maybe if I win the Lottery. :D A girl can always dream...

Bill;

I am 57 and was originally certified in Enterprise Alabama in 1975. I still come down occasionally to visit my mother, brother and sisters. I currently live in Huntsville Alabama and my favorite dive shop is Southeastern Divers, Inc.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

At 74 I am still blowing a few bubbles down here in Pell City, Al. I started with a home made helmet at 13 and have been pretty much continuous ever since. If anyone is looking for a fairly east place to dive try Lake Martin. Fairly clear and a pleasant place. We had a log recovery business there until the housing market disaster.

Ben

Bill;

I am 57 and was originally certified in Enterprise Alabama in 1975. I still come down occasionally to visit my mother, brother and sisters. I currently live in Huntsville Alabama and my favorite dive shop is Southeastern Divers, Inc.
Edit: wrong town, SSD is Birmingham.

Traveler218, did George Perez certify you? If he did, you'll be delighted to know he is still teaching and running a dive shop at 86. He knows Forrest at SSD very well.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

53, and currently living in Denver CO. Just back into diving after a long hiatus. Will be diving locally some (limited options, and I need to get my Altitude Specialty!). Will be heading to Caribbean, the Gulf, and East Coast of Florida 2 or 3 times a year. May occasionally hit San Diego / Catalina area once in a while too.

Favorite dive shop? Currently have several, Duggan Diving in Universal City TX, Scuba Haven in Tampa, Fl... and Coral Key Scuba here in CO. Certs are Padi Advanced / Naui Open Water II

Traveler218, did George Perez certify you? If he did, you'll be delighted to know he is still teaching and running a dive shop at 86. He knows Forrest at SSD very well.

Yes he did! I didn't know he was still running a dive shop but I got his email address from NAUI and sent him an email. How do you know George?

He certified me in Oct 2000. Since then then he has mentored me through recreational and technical diving to name a few things.

George still works on his feet 10-12 hours per day in his shop. He teaches, maintains his rep as the regulator guru of the world, and still can back roll off a boat in heavy seas with a spear gun and come back with dinner!

An amazing human being and salt of the earth. Call him at 334.774.3483, I'm sure he'd love to hear from you!.

OK, I am and wanted to see how many more of us are out there.
Where do you live?
Where do you dive?
Favorite dive shop?
Current certification?

I am 59
Live in Lumberton TX
Dive locally at Lake Travis, Blue Lagoon, Twin Lakes, CSSP, Athens , lake 288 .... Not so local spots Cozumel, Jamacha, Cave country, Freeport Mostly gulf diving but some atlantic
I unfortunately do not have a LDS but other than HYDRO i can do most anything else needed
SSI master diver, Nauii Nitrox , Iantd cavern, Iantd adv rec trimix , PSI inspector
Since logging dives for the certification bean counters i have well over 500.
As dive organizations goe,,, i am affiliated with BAY AREA DIVERS in Houston TX
There was some statistic i saw quite a while back that 1/3 to 1/2 fo the divers are over the age of 45-50.

I'm 55.
Live in Gary, Texas
My wife and I hit Cozumel 4-5 times a year. Not much local diving. In fact we are looking to get a residence in Cozumel on our trip in June.
No local dive shop. Do maintenance myself.
NAUI Divemaster (not active) so I dive as NAUI Master Scuba Diver.

Thinking about heading back down to Grand Cayman to dive the East End with Ocean Frontiers the 2nd week in July if I can find someone to share the condo.... anyone interested in coming? Pricing is $1395pp for 2 people and includes car rental for the week and 2 morning boat dives. I usually upgrade when I get there to 2 afternoon boat dives for 5 days and nitrox.

PM for more info if interested. Will be leaving June 13-22 to dive from St Maarten to St Kitts on the Explorer so would need to hear back within the next week in order to make arrangmenets (and to make sure the condo is still available)

BTW...am open to going just about anywhere from the end of June through July 19th so if there is someone that wants to head off to dive someplace exotic instead, don't hesitate to contact me

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom