50+ year old divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm 58, work 3rd shift. I try to dive on Saturdays after working all night. I notice that I'm physically tired by the time I get to dive. This past Sat after gearing up, my usual double 72's w about 25 lbs of ballast, I could not stand up! I had to grab a rope and pull myself up! Then I got in the water and couldn't swim against the current. Is this normal for my age or should I see a doctor? The other 2 younger guys had trouble with the current too, but the not being able to stand up?

Sounds like you are demanding a lot from your body! Also sounds like a pretty tough dive BUT any time you notice your body is responding in a way that doesn't seem "normal" to you it is better to follow up with appropriate medical investigation. If you are concerned that is a good enough reason to talk to a doctor in the flesh! You don't want anybody saying "If only he followed up on that time....." I wish you good health and many more years of safe diving!:flowers:

No question, you are going to die...sometime in the next 50 years or so.

How much do you weigh? How tall are you? How much do you exersize? How hard is your work? Time is not kind to the lazy.

Could be perfectly normal, could be a concern.

Me, I don't dive aluminum doubles anymore...try a nice pair of FaberFX 100's...they weigh about the same, but a pair take 10 lbs less lead. Or better still, get a Fx 133, and add a bail out for even less weight (and resistance in the water)...or, if you can find a pair: faber FX100LPDVB, a low pressure tank that weighs in at 25 lbs (but takes a bit more lead than even an aluminum does.

I would like to think that with age come some knowledge on how to do things easier.

I’m about 20lbs more than I should be. My knees are shot and I’ve lost leg muscleand gained weight because I can’t work them or workout like I could. I’m thinking of getting the left one replacedthis winter and then the right next. This was the 1st time I just could not get up. I’ve moaned and groaned but always made it up,not this time. I dive regularly if notweekly and workout 3-5 days per week; bike, recumbent bike, elliptical trainer. Also thigh curl machine (hamstrings forfinning) calf machine, anything that does not put a strain on my knees. Also upper body weight training, light weighthigh reps.
I’m stuck with what I have for tanks, my budget doesn’t allowme those luxuries. I did get 2 steel 50’sbut after getting the weight right the rig is only 8 lbs less than my 72’s. I think the key is the knees and not enoughrest per dive.

---------- Post Merged at 03:19 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:13 AM ----------

Sounds like you are demanding a lot from your body! Also sounds like a pretty tough dive BUT any time you notice your body is responding in a way that doesn't seem "normal" to you it is better to follow up with appropriate medical investigation. If you are concerned that is a good enough reason to talk to a doctor in the flesh! You don't want anybody saying "If only he followed up on that time....." I wish you good health and many more years of safe diving!:flowers:

I've always demanded alot of my body and up until the last 10 years it always delivered. I'm going to make a few adjustments related to how I gear up and see if that helps. If not the next step is no more Sat diving after work. Then the knees. I'll be 60 by the time both knees are done.:(. Thanks for the well wishes. Back at ya!

I can certainly relate to the issue with the knees. I've been advised both mine need replacements but I am delaying as long as I can. I sometimes have trouble getting into a standing position after a dive too. *sigh* age isn't very kind sometimes but I have earned every ache and pain by packing as much as I could into every one of my 62 years! I confess I really get frustrated that I am having to accept some limitations:doh: I figure I am lucky my cardio vascular system is holding up fine.. as long as I can keep diving life is good! :)

I'm 58, work 3rd shift. I try to dive on Saturdays after working all night. I notice that I'm physically tired by the time I get to dive. This past Sat after gearing up, my usual double 72's w about 25 lbs of ballast, I could not stand up! I had to grab a rope and pull myself up! Then I got in the water and couldn't swim against the current. Is this normal for my age or should I see a doctor? The other 2 younger guys had trouble with the current too, but the not being able to stand up?

If you're physically tired it takes time to build up the stamina/ATP reserve to do something as involved as diving especially if you are working, or on the road. Diving often means - wake up early and disrupt much needed recovery sleep, haul tons of stuff one place to another, drive (car, or boat) and be alert, eat a meal/stay hydrated, get into a rubber exercise suit which resists you in all directions and then get into water that in the NE is colder than 70F. All for maybe an hour in the water repeating the same procedure again with perhaps the exception of getting up early.

If your knees are going that a distinct bummer. For myself I don't bother swimming anymore, and haven't for a few years. I am content to drag a scooter into the water to do the hard work. Saves my legs for cycling which I do quite a bit and if needed I can swim...but don't unless I need too. Long story - I bet if you rest up enough you won't find the same situation occurring again, unless it's a body part giving out.

Cheers,

X

62 years ...20 years certified PADI. I am a vacation diver and last dove at the Jaws set in the Bahamas. Trying to find someone to dive Laurel Lake in KY.

I posted here a ways back but since we're on the subject, I guess it's time for an update :D

I'm now almost 60 and recently went diving off a dive boat in Puerto Vallarta and last year off of Maui. I went beach diving several times while on Maui but it was easy to park near the dive spot and not too fat to walk. I suppose I'm in pretty damned good shape for my age--I work doing a lot of manual labor and gardening with regular heavy lifting. I swim laps almost every day plus do the sit-ups, push-ups, and pull-ups regularly. I've had just about everything checked recently by doctors and everything is AOK except my cholesterol is a bit high. I'm about five pounds overweight right now and was recenty diagnosed with arthritis in one knee which makes beach diving down the bluffs in Orange County CA seem like a challenge, but I'm gonna lose the five extra and get back into the beach diving very soon. I was snorkeling with a lady off of Maui who suddenly panicked so I dragged her back to the beach very quickly. I may be getting old but the 'ol legs held up when needed. The old ScubaPro Jet Fins probably helped a LOT too (I prefer the Lightning Bolt fins). Thankfully she went back out and all her panick was forgotten when a huge sea turtle started circling us only a couple of feet away!

I took my original scuba course in 1969 and again in 1983 with my X-wife, just to make sure they taught her everything. The dive master in PV was not real impressed with my "Scuba Diver" certification so I called NAUI and asked if I could get a card that indicated my level of training according to the present-day terminology and they sent me a "Master Scuba Diver" card so I guess I won't have any more arguments with boat captains and dive masters :wink:

So, eat right, get lots of exercise, and keep diving!

The government in California has made beach diving a lot more difficult in some places so I'm thinking of moving to Hawaii. Maybe the big island. Less wet suit and less lead to carry with the warm water!

James

OK, I am and wanted to see how many more of us are out there.
Where do you live?
Where do you dive?
Favorite dive shop?
Current certification?

I'm out here, not in THERE yet. Trying to scrape the $$ to get all the equipment! Wow, what an investment, but I know it's worth it.
I'm in N.Cal. and I would love to start diving at Lake Tahoe.
Haven't been to a dive shop yet, but planning to go this week or next.
Waiting for the okay from my MD to be sure all this is going to pay off...
That's why I haven't done anything more at this point.
I also have to wait for the swimsuit I ordered to get here, oh, and gotta get a perm.
I hope that got a few smiles or LOL's, but I seriously haven't owned a swimsuit in 20 years... :chuckle:

---------- Post Merged at 02:57 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:36 AM ----------

Started diving as a reward for losing 60 pounds...

And I'm going into it in part to LOSE about 40 lbs. HMMM But then I'll have to invest in some new equipment to fit the new me... :ermm:

I'm out here, not in THERE yet. Trying to scrape the $$ to get all the equipment! Wow, what an investment, but I know it's worth it.
I'm in N.Cal. and I would love to start diving at Lake Tahoe.
Haven't been to a dive shop yet, but planning to go this week or next.
Waiting for the okay from my MD to be sure all this is going to pay off...
That's why I haven't done anything more at this point.
I also have to wait for the swimsuit I ordered to get here, oh, and gotta get a perm.
I hope that got a few smiles or LOL's, but I seriously haven't owned a swimsuit in 20 years... :chuckle:

---------- Post Merged at 02:57 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:36 AM ----------

And I'm going into it in part to LOSE about 40 lbs. HMMM But then I'll have to invest in some new equipment to fit the new me... :ermm:

Welcome to a new world. It's great fun, full of fun people. Be sure your mindset is properly adjusted. If you are 40 lbs over weight and haven't been in the water for 20 years ... you have some challenges ahead. Nothing you can't handle if you are determined enough, so don't allow yourself to be discouraged if this scuba thing is a bit more challenging than you expected. It will get easier.

If you will go to FAcebook.com/IslandAirHonduras and Like our Page you will automatically receive a FREE weather report for The Bay Islands that I post every morning. You will also be notified of any SPECIALS we may be offering on flights here in The Bay Islands; Utila, Roatan, Guanaja and main land Honduras.:blinking: You can also check us out at www.islandair at ws. We are Scuba Divers, my son is an Instructor, I'm advanced so we understand the physiology of flying and diving. COME FLY WITH US when you dive The Bay Islands of Honduras. BTW, I'm 61 and plan on diving so long as I can walk.

"The government in California has made beach diving a lot more difficult in some places so I'm thinking of moving to Hawaii. Maybe the big island. Less wet suit and less lead to carry with the warm water!" James

Hello James,
How did the gov in California make beach diving a lot more difficult? I'm just wondering as I had a great time in Monterey with a friend at UC-Davis. I'm 61yrs old and Mortuary (Monastery) Beach really gave me a bad time - rolling me around - called the dive! :) But had a great time elsewhere - Lovers Point, Breakwater/night dive, etc.

I'm in Oregon and my 61yr old buddy and I dive almost every Friday/year around in our cold murky Pacific NW Ocean/Bay waters. Those who call scuba a non-Cardio Aerobic Exercise have never been Jetty Diving in the Oregon Pacific NW!!! And they most certainly have never climbed down and up (with full load/30 lbs of dungeness crabs) out of the Alsea Bay Crab Hole!!! Those crabs can run/swim - talk about exertion chasing those things! :)

Anyways - tell us more about California and your diving (and the governments).

drdaddy

Back
Top Bottom