50+ year old divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

50 here... working on the "+" :blinking: Got certified in 1992 and I hope to get to dive #1000 in the next year or two.

Where do you live? Gilroy, CA
Where do you dive? Mostly in Monterey, CA but also up and down the California Coast, plus annual trips to places like Alaska, BC, Cozumel, Galapagos, Palau, and various areas in between.
Favorite dive shop? Any Water Sports in San Jose, CA
Current certification? Currently Rescue. I was an AI from 1994 to 2010 but did not renew after that.

Will turn 55 this year. Just completed OW this past weekend. Decided to do it for bucket list, but enjoyed the pool so much I bought the gear and am looking forward to diving often.

Where do you live? Windsor, Ontario, Canada -- gonna need a dry suit!
Where do you dive? Well so far all 4 dives have been Gilboa Quarry, Ohio
Favorite dive shop? Only one I have been to is Benthic Scuba in Windsor (great people by the way!)
Current certification? OW (anxiously awaiting my card!)

Plan on Great Lakes and St. Lawrence this summer, Bonaire this winter. Signed up for AOW, Nitrox. Shoulda done this years ago!

53 next week and in better physical condition than some 30/40 year olds I know (a plug for CrossFit). Certified since 1976 and active ever since.

Where do you live? Daytona Beach, Fl
Where do you dive? Freshwater - Local Springs, Saltwater - Jupiter & areas south, Fl West coast & Caribbean.
Favorite dive shop? Spruce Creek Scuba, Port Orange, Fl
Current certification? NAUI OW; Navy Scuba School NDSTC; PADI AOW & Rescue; PDIC Dive Supervisor; SSI Nitrox & TDI Cavern, Advanced Nitrox, Advanced Wreck (soon Intro to Cave)
Plan on Bonaire June 9th, Coz July, & PR Sept.

OK, I am and wanted to see how many more of us are out there.
Where do you live?
Where do you dive?
Favorite dive shop?
Current certification?
i live in plainfield,il.....locally dive at haigh quarry.....dive right in scuba is dive shop and aquaholics is dive club. advanced open wateris certs....going to mexico july 3-8 relax do some diving...... SCUBA PLAYA is dive shop i use there.....GREAT SHOP!!!!!!:)

Hey all - I'm still alive and kicking although not as active as when I joined in 2008. I did get to Truk Lagoon last year in Feb/Mar after having a complete back fusion with rods/screws done in Aug 1020, and a mild heart attack while in the hospital. All is well now, and I'm getting ready to start our NC Summer dive season this month. Hope all the rest of you are still going a well - Peace!

Mike

Bonaire was great this year......just watch out for some of the surf on the shore dives....bit of a killer.....Salt Pier kicked my old butt getting out....was going to call it quits for the day....then we went to Alice in Wonderland, easier entry and exit. Have fun....

Heloooooooooo there:
Just received my OW Padi certification, the Photograph OMG. Started the course on May 10 this year and took me awhile to learn the Mask clearing. I am 60+ and went into this primarely so I can check the condition of my own mooring for the Boat. In the Summertime I live in Victoria where I did the course with the LDS at Ogden Point and will be doing the next few dives in Oak Bay as soon the Weather turns warmer to gain a little more experience. There are at least 3 Diveshops in this area and I bought Stuff from each one of them and all seem to be friendly and knowledgable People. I will stick for now to mostly used stuff untill I know from own experience what I want. If possible I like to service most of my Gear myself primarely becouse I enjoy to fix things, want to see how it works and besides it is a perfect excuse to get out of the Office.

Dive Travel to warm places is definitely on the Table as long my Wife of 37years can accompany me, she is a non Diver but loves the Sun.

Thats it-------Cheers

I'm 75 and have metasatic breast cancer. I've just returned from a great dive trip to Roatan. While I used to make 17 dives per week, I've cut back to 10. My husband and daughter take great care of my equipment for me and I'm terrific under water. It's all that oxygen flowing into my lungs while down at 60'. I've decided to become a mermaid and just stay down under. Actually I had such fun that I persuaded both of them to go back down to Roatan in a couple more weeks. They didn't need much persuading. (I'm now at 612 dives.)

simonds, my wife also has stage 4 breast cancer. in may 2010 she was told 3 months at the most. needless to say she is still fighting and surviving.
congrats to you. glad to hear you can still still enjoy your hobby.
i am 69 and did not dive very well on my annual trip to coz in may. was thinking about calling it quits. your post may have changed my mind.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom