50+ year old divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"The government in California has made beach diving a lot more difficult in some places so I'm thinking of moving to Hawaii. Maybe the big island. Less wet suit and less lead to carry with the warm water!" James

Hello James,
How did the gov in California make beach diving a lot more difficult?
drdaddy

It all started many years ago when the government of California decided to make all the best dive spots State Parks. Before that I would drive to the first spot, check the conditions, and if not promising go to the next place. Once it became a park I now had to PAY just to go LOOK! Probably the worst one is what used to be called Scotsman's Cove. It used to be OK to park along PCH but now it's illegal. We just climbed through the barbed wire and walked down the steep road to the best spot. Now you have to pay $15 to park and it's about a half mile walk just to get to where we used to go down. It was an arduous journey when I was 20 and now I'm 59. I have not seen a single diver there since they made it a State Park. I used to see many divers there. OK, so maybe we were trespassing for a few feet but nobody seemed to care plus we always picked up trash along the way back and it was always very clean there. Not so anymore.

Come to think of it I never see surfers there anymore either.

James

66, just retired, Full Cave and Normxic trimix, favorite shop Protec in Playa del Carmen, rebreather on order.

57 dive 2 to 3 times a year in cozumel with my young 50+ wife

Why is the rum always gone

I'm 53, strike that, 54 since recent birthday. Started diving age 50. AOW and nitrox. Signed up for SDI solo diver course this May. Dive mostly Bonaire and Florida but planning my first dive off North Carolina coast this summer.

Used to be very physically active. Sports, hiking, biking. Weight training and cardio since my 20's (yes, I use to workout to Jane Fonda). Did P90x (with some modifications for shoulder surgery) just 3 years ago but have noticed a profound decline in endurance and muscle mass over the past year...very discouraging and wonder where I will be in another few years

I'm 53, strike that, 54 since recent birthday. Started diving age 50. AOW and nitrox. Signed up for SDI solo diver course this May. Dive mostly Bonaire and Florida but planning my first dive off North Carolina coast this summer.

Used to be very physically active. Sports, hiking, biking. Weight training and cardio since my 20's (yes, I use to workout to Jane Fonda). Did P90x (with some modifications for shoulder surgery) just 3 years ago but have noticed a profound decline in endurance and muscle mass over the past year...very discouraging and wonder where I will be in another few years

Are you coming to the SB Invasion in June? I think there's a fair number of attendees that are around the 50 mark, give or take a couple of years. I'm 60 and wife is 59. We love our dive vacations.

OK, I am and wanted to see how many more of us are out there.
Where do you live?
Where do you dive?
Favorite dive shop?
Current certification?

56 yrs old.
Enterprise, AL
Caves in mostly NCW Florida and Panama City for that salty stuff
Dive shops are Sea Divers in Ozark, AL and Cave Adventurers in Marianna, FL
Current cert: Megalodon ECCR cave and trimix.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Started 8 years ago with my wife (a few years younger) and 3 teenaged boys.
We try to dive 2x a year all over Carribean.
Did our first LOB last year.
So far, after about 95 dives, Cozumel was #1 until we went to Turneffe Island Rssort in Belize this year. OMG. Perfect combination of luxurious surroundings and fantastic reefs. The Elbow and Half Moon Caye were the best we have ever seen.
I dive to relax. No blackberry. No stress. Deep breathing. Its my lazy-man's yoga.

Are you coming to the SB Invasion in June? I think there's a fair number of attendees that are around the 50 mark, give or take a couple of years. I'm 60 and wife is 59. We love our dive vacations.

Would love to but was just there in March and can't fit another trip in that soon!

OK, I am and wanted to see how many more of us are out there.
Where do you live?
Where do you dive?
Favorite dive shop?
Current certification?

Sonoma County, California

Mostly the local coast of Sonoma and Mendocino counties. During bad weather on the coast I dive Lake Sonoma. I get out to Lake Tahoe a few times every year and down to Monterey and the Channel Islands occasionally.

My LDS is Pinnacles Dive in Santa Rosa. I do get around to several others.

Certified Master Scuba Diver in 2010, long story documented elsewhere. I did fair bit of tech diving before it existed, so...

This summer I'll be celebrating 66 years and 50 years diving.

Bob
--------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

56 yrs old.
Enterprise, AL
Caves in mostly NCW Florida and Panama City for that salty stuff
Dive shops are Sea Divers in Ozark, AL and Cave Adventurers in Marianna, FL
Current cert: Megalodon ECCR cave and trimix.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Bill;

I am 57 and was originally certified in Enterprise Alabama in 1975. I still come down occasionally to visit my mother, brother and sisters. I currently live in Huntsville Alabama and my favorite dive shop is Southeastern Divers, Inc.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom