50+ year old divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

63 in August. Been diving since I was 17 (USMC Retired). Civilian certified in 77. Live in west Tennessee, at most 1-8 hours away from hundreds of dive spots.

Have my own compressor and mix my dive gas. I maintain all my gear, including tanks. I Buy gear exclusively from the internet.

Back mount, side mount and still own a jacket. In fact, I have a Sherwood Avid rigged for side mount and I don't have to bother with Transpac/wing reconfiguration from back mounted double issues. Dry suit diver and mostly solo dive since I have a trailer-able Bass boat.

I have taken my boat out into the Gulf between Venice (Oil Rigs) and Panama City. I usually stay at Blue Mountain. Fish and dive almost all the Arkansas lakes within 250 miles of me and the Tennessee River at Pickwick.

* 54 mission years

* Columbus, GA

* Bonaire, Cozumel, Puerto Rico (home), Roatan, Destin, Panama City Beach, Bahamas Liveaboards (AquaCat, Blackbeard Cruises), Turk & Caicos
Liveaboard Explorer II, Vortex Spring (FL), Quarry @ Alabama Blue Water Adventures, Cooper River, S.C. looking for Megalodon teeth.

* Planet Ocean Scuba Center

* SSI Lvl 4 Master Diver @ 416 dives

My wife Elly & I are both in our mid-50's, both PADI OWSI's. We live on Roatan aboard our 47 foot sailboat and run a liveaboard diving and sailing business. Took all our training in cold water, Vancouver, BC but got too old for that, dry suits are now retired and we love the warm water!

OK, I am and wanted to see how many more of us are out there.
Where do you live?
Where do you dive?
Favorite dive shop?
Current certification?
Turned 50 in september, first post 50 dive to Oryskany and Russian Freighter on Dec 1.
From Texas, living in McComb, MS now
dive Orange Beach, AL to Pensacola Beach, Fl between trips to Coz.
Local dive shop is Deep South in Jackson. They do a good job.
OW/Nitrox

How about 70+ divers?
We live in Key Largo in the winter; Michigan in the summer
We don't dive deep, dark, and cold anymore. Love Cozumel (every year) and other warm water places (Bonaire, Roatan, etc.) We have also been to Truk, Galapagos, and the Coral Sea.
Local dive shop is in Lansing, MI
Both AOW -- wreck, navigation/night diving, dry suit, etc.

A question would like to add: How do you modify your diving now that you are a "senior diver?"
We are much more conservative. Dive nitrox when possible, but keep the computers on air. Deep stop if dive goes deeper than 80 feet, long stop between 15-20. We usually hang out until the others have finished scrambling on the boat.

Still enthused about diving after 18 years of it. Love our local colder waters even after diving in some wonderful tropical destinations. It's all good :D

Live: Southern California
Dive: Southern Cal + Caribbean/SE Asia Pacific, etc.
Dive Shops: Hollywood Diver
Cert: L.A. County ADP.

55 soon - Rockledge Florida dive W.Palm Beach area and Bonaire Favorite dive shop American Divers Merritt Island Fl Cert PADI Open Water & NITROX

How about 70+ divers?
We live in Key Largo in the winter; Michigan in the summer
We don't dive deep, dark, and cold anymore. Love Cozumel (every year) and other warm water places (Bonaire, Roatan, etc.) We have also been to Truk, Galapagos, and the Coral Sea.
Local dive shop is in Lansing, MI
Both AOW -- wreck, navigation/night diving, dry suit, etc.

A question would like to add: How do you modify your diving now that you are a "senior diver?"
We are much more conservative. Dive nitrox when possible, but keep the computers on air. Deep stop if dive goes deeper than 80 feet, long stop between 15-20. We usually hang out until the others have finished scrambling on the boat.

We're 60 and haven't changed our dive routine much. Mostly because we've always been fairly conservative. We use Nitrox more often, when available. Mostly shore dive, we're most at our leisure on time and dive plan. We'd like to move to Florida in the next few years for year-round diving and golf.

Back
Top Bottom