50+ year old divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ya know, the more I dive, and the more I travel around, the more I tend to 'come up, look around, and want to go back down!"..... Hope to see ya'll diving down here in St. Kitts with me soon! The water is warm, the fish are abundant, the visibility is great, and all the crew is damn good lookin'!!! :wink:

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

OK, I am and wanted to see how many more of us are out there.
Where do you live?
Where do you dive?
Favorite dive shop?
Current certification?

As this was originally posted 6 years ago, I may have already answered the question at some point, but here goes...

58, Halifax, Nova Scotia.
First certified in 1965 (age 12), instructor in 1971 (18), and Navy Diver in 1972.
Instructor Trainer Evaluator (recreational, technical and commercial).
Over the past 46 years, I've dove in all of the world's oceans (although not always in the best of conditions).
I retired from commercial diving last January, although I had passed my sat diver medical for this year. I expect that I'll dive recreationally up until the time that I'm declared medically unfit.

I'm 75 and just made my 600th dive. Getting to make that dive was #1 on my bucket list; I have stage 4 metasasized breast cancer. This was the first I've felt well enough to dive again since being diagnosed in Feb. 2010. My last chemo worked well and I'm praying it keeps the tumors down for awhile. I'd love to go on another dive trip. My husband says I look the same underwater as always, and I found I could breath better down at 60' than up in the air. I'm a happy diver after last week in Roatan.:D

You are what I define as a "Hero". May god be with you...but I have a feeling he/she is already!

I've followed the thread off and on, but refrained from posting till now. I didn't meet the age limit till last month...

Where do you live?
Where do you dive?
Favorite dive shop?
Current certification?

Pueblo West, Colorado, USA
We certified in 2010, so we're still very much new. So far:
Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Tulum, and Curacao.
No favorite shop.
AOW, Rescue in process.

We're heading to Cozumel next month, where we ought to pass the 100 dives mark. Sort of a milestone for me. We certified in May 2010 and in August I was diagnosed with stage 4 metastatic Carcinoid. There's no cure and no real treatment for it, but so far it's had minimal impact on my life.

Newly certified at 54. Snorkeled all over the Caribbean for years and decided to raise the bar.
Certified through Central MA Scuba in Worcester, MA
I'm an EMT so I plan on working toward Rescue Diver/Public Safety Diver certifications

Dirty-Dog:6122761:

I've followed the thread off and on, but refrained from posting till now. I didn't meet the age limit till last month...

Where do you live?
Where do you dive?
Favorite dive shop?
Current certification?

Pueblo West, Colorado, USA
We certified in 2010, so we're still very much new. So far:
Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Tulum, and Curacao.
No favorite shop.
AOW, Rescue in process.

We're heading to Cozumel next month, where we ought to pass the 100 dives mark. Sort of a milestone for me. We certified in May 2010 and in August I was diagnosed with stage 4 metastatic Carcinoid. There's no cure and no real treatment for it, but so far it's had minimal impact on my life.

:thumb:

Life without limits. :D

Started diving in 98 at age 48
Since then have dived, PNG, GBR, Calif, Florida, BC Canada, Victoria Australia
Primarily diving in New South Wales esp Sydney area
Advanced and Nitrox
I'll dive till the Doctor convinces me not to.. that won't be easy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom