50+ year old divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome, ScubeBurt!

You're almost as old a me! Keep on diving!

Michael

Sorry I haven't answered your last post until now- I just found it tonite. I'm sure by now your Keys trip has come and gone, as has mine, but to get back to the WPB question, we prefer WPB for several reasons: 1) It is deep enough to get out of the surge. Most dives in the Keys are shallow, around 30 ft or less, so if you have rough seas on the surface you are still getting moved back and forth by the surge even when underwater. WPB average diving is probably in the 55-65 ft range. (even deeper at Juno sites or on most of the wrecks) so you are deep enough to have whats going on topside not bother you at depth. 2)A big variety of big critters hang out there, including turtles (some in the hundreds of pounds), several varieties of sharks (we had a 16+ ft Great Hammerhead hanging around on our last trip), MANY Goliath Grouper,huge Barracuda and big fat Morays. 3)Schooling fish so numerous at times they totally engulf divers. 4)Generally better visibility (a bad day is 25-40 ft) 5) IMO a healthier reef in general (Gulf Stream coming in close to reefs=more nutrients). 6)Shore diving is possible. Diving under the Blue Heron bridge is FREE and if you like critters they are there! ALL kinds of juvenile critters along with invertebrates and just about anything else you can think of has at one point (seemingly)called the pilings of the bridge "home". Just have to check the tides and go at the right time. 6) Hotels are about 40-50% less than in Keys. We Priceline a room at the Marriott or Doubletree in Palm Beach Gardens for about $40 a night. 7) If it's really ugly out there is more to do ie:shopping/restaurants/movies. One thing you need to know is that all diving (except shore) is drift diving. (It's that Gulf Stream influence again.) Sometimes it's almost non-existent, but sometimes it's ripping.
We actually went to the Keys last month (July) and left there half-way through our week to go to WPB because the seas were too rough,surge was too bad, and viz was only 20ft. Hope you get the chance to dive WPB!

I am 66 and have been diving since age 45 (1990). I got hooked in diving and am a TDI/SDI IT, though I don"t teach a lot. I am too selfish and can't teach with the homemade rebreather I made. I live in a land locked area and have to be happy diving mud filled quarries in a dry suit. I do get out a few times a year to dive ocean and caves in north Florida.

Our latest project is a pendulum SCR rebreather we hope to have on line by weeks end. Idle hands and all. The whole thing is a Lowe's / Home Depot project costing under $100.00 excluding cylinder, reglator and PO2 monitor which we already had.

Safe Diving,

Dale

:happywave: Hey. Welcome to SB. Did you attend Davidson High School by any chance? We left Mobile in 1969. I bet a lot has changed.

59 here. Located in Charleston SC. Enjoy fossiling the Cooper, Wando, and Edisto rivers here in Charleston. Travel to Venice Florida a couple of times a year for offshore fossiling. Fossil the Peace river (famous black water river with, you guessed it, fossils). Have fossiled the Sante Fe and looking at the Suwanee river (both in Florida).

Also enjoy offshore diving Charleston SC, Murrels Inlet SC, Willmington NC.

Enjoy the Jupiter, West Palm, and Boynton drift dives

Occasionaly make the trip to Key Largo and Islamorada for the sea life and reefs.

Too legit to quit!

i'm 54 years old, but i'm not old :D
i hope to do my hypoxic trimix training next year and be able to dive at 330-400 ft before my 60s

54yo here in Puyallup, wa Not Cert'd yet, will be in 2 weeks. Looking forward to getting wet again after 30 years out of the water.

53 here in Vero Beach Florida.
AOW, nitrox certs. used to do the public safety dive stuff....that was a long time back.
these days i dive up and down the florida coast with the occasional foray to various Caribbean locations.
lifetime probably have 300 dives....i spent about 15 years without diving and started again 2 years ago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom