50+ year old divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

57 and just finished my 44th year underwater. I spent my first 38 throughout the California coast, from Monteray south to San Diego. Lots of Channel Island diving, and I taught for a shop in Santa Maria for a few years. Ran a Sheriff's Search and Recovery Team, and did a lot of "crap" diving during those years too.
After retirement, my wife and and I decided to concentrate on warm water diving. Been in the Caymens, Belize, Tahiti, Fiji, Cozumel and throughout the Baja. Going to Bonaire in two months, and Austalia in eight months..... My bucket list includes the Galapagos, the Red Sea... well, you got the picture. Never stop doing what you love!

67 Years old started Diving at 10 years old. Retired Navy but not retired from Diving Navy diver for 14 years. Over 9000 logged dives. Done just about everything in the water. Explosives, salvage, Ships Husbandry, Bent twice And most of all still dive and spear fish commercially. I wont quit till they drag my stiff body out of the Gulf. Got to go load the boat for a 2 AM night dive for Flounder...:wink:

OK, I am and wanted to see how many more of us are out there.
Where do you live?
Where do you dive?
Favorite dive shop?
Current certification?

Chicago, Il.
I mostly dive in the Bay Islands of Honduras
AOW and Nitrox
Has anybody done their DM cert. in their 50's? I really want to do this and was wondering if "age" makes any difference...

Quick question. Is the DM certification reserved only for younger divers? I'm 57 and in good shape. I would really like to do the DM.
AM I TOO OLD??????

m'go

Quick question. Is the DM certification reserved only for younger divers? I'm 57 and in good shape. I would really like to do the DM.
AM I TOO OLD??????

m'go
Never too old if you feel up to the challenge...just as TS&M, she became a DM last year in her mid-fifties...

Has anybody done their DM cert. in their 50's? I really want to do this and was wondering if "age" makes any difference...
Physical age can make a difference, but not chronological age.

A few years ago we certified a new DM at the age of 70. Now at 73 he's an active DM in our shop.

50's should not be a problem. Conditioning might.

Go for it, and enjoy!

Hi Wicko 1,
As long as you stay in shape, and keep your cool, you will dive the young ones under! Go for it.

Chicago, Il.
I mostly dive in the Bay Islands of Honduras
AOW and Nitrox
I started surfing when I was 56, and started diving when I was 58. I earned my DM and OWSI ratings right around my 61st birthday, a month ago. I expect to start teaching next month. Age is irrelevant, the issue is are you mentally and physically up to the challenges and that has nothing to due with chronological age.

OK, I am and wanted to see how many more of us are out there.
Where do you live?
Where do you dive?
Favorite dive shop?
Current certification?

I get to 50 this year.
Nor Cal.
South Pacific (as much as I can)
Don't have one right now -- when I was in SoCal, I used www.Scuba.com's warehouse as a dive shop
AOW / Nitrox

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom