50+ year old divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm 60 and still diving. My son (35) and I make an annual treck to the FL Keys for lobster mini season. As a matter of fact, I'm leaving next tuesday for this years trip. I now dive with a Brownie Hookah system to keep from carrying around a heavy tank but it keeps me diving!

Where do you live? Houston, TX via Michigan
Where do you dive? Lake Jackson, Truk, Lake Huron, Florida
Favorite dive shop? Houston Scuba Academy
Current certification? IANTD Enrich Air, Wreck, Deep Water

I am 53.
From Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Have my Advanced Open Water, Drysuit, Navigation, Night Dives
60+ dives so far.
Dive both mountain lakes in Banff area and Caribbean Seas/ Mayan areas.
Favourite location so far has been Cozumel.
Have not done the Canadian west coast but hear it is fantastic.

Technically have type 2 Diabetes but never an issue with diving other than those pesky medical forms to fill out all the time. Any one else with type 2 diabetes have any issues or comments?

i have it too so i don't have to go see a Dr. i put NO on all the medicl forms so i don't miss any diving as they like you to get a dr. to sine off

I'm also type 2. Many people don't understand what it is and that is the reason for all the fuss. I carry 2 small squeeze tubes of glucose gel with me on every dive. They are sealed and provide me with instant relief should I ever feel I'm becoming hypogycemic while on a dive. I've practiced taking them while on the bottom and it comes easy to me. I always take 2 with me just in case one gets away from me and floats away. You can get them at any pharmacy.I also have a good meal an hour or two before a dive and skip my medication for that meal. I also make sure I have juice or soda and food on the boat for when I get out. Every one response differently, this works for me. Have fun and dive safe always.

53 + one in January, Advanced Diver. Live in So. California. Haven't been diving in about 3 years but going this weekend. Most of my dives have been in the Caribbean. No connection with any local dive shops yet.

I'm 52 and live in Toronto, Canada. I've been certified since 1971 and according to my sons, my original open water instructor was Leonardo Da Vinci!

I'm 52 and live in Toronto, Canada. I've been certified since 1971 and according to my sons, my original open water instructor was Leonardo Da Vinci!

71? Many here would consider that being certified in the "Modern Era". Personally, I consider anyone who started diving in the 50's as "old"...all the rest of us are just "experienced".

And also along those lines, PufferFish, I see the description of this forum is "elderly" divers, but the name is "50+"...I'm getting pretty close to 50, but I don't consider that elderly! (Ever notice how the age you think of as old keeps changing as YOU get older?) lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom