5/31-8/13/09-Trip Report: Budget Diving Adventure in SE Asia!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

6/14 Met the local GUE Philippino diving group at a Manilla dive show today! Philippinos are so friendly! What a great country!

They have offered to show me how to use all this new gear! YEAH!

So I will extend my visa and stick around for a while. Into the pool this week for some coaching & then wreck diving on Friday :D!

Man I bet Mason is wishing he was still in the islands with you!!!

Glad you love your new DSS gear!!!

Yes! More pictures please!

Actually, better not. I'm already jealous.

Don,
Wanna go? I've been trying to get Ted over to the motherland for some diving and family time... The Gathering 2010?
Cmon... both Ted and I speak the language ;p

Don you should go! It is very cool here & partners who know the language would definitely help! You all would love the Floro brothers.

6/18 Sorry for the delay in stories/pics :D. Was out of the water for a week with swimmers ear. But dropped down to 65+ today & its all good now!

During those 7 days traveled up to Manila from the southern islands then hung out a few days in Manila meeting the local GUE gang, extending my visa and waiting for some training & the ear to heal.

But after a very cool pool training session in a driving rain storm in Manila yesterday, I picked up the trail at 4am this morning with plenty of new cool technique to practice. And did a crazy dash (bus/jeepeny (crazy public minivan-jalopy hybrid) /motorcycle side car) alone down to Anilao. Yes-knowing the language would have made everything much easier :wink:. But locals do know lots of English so travel alone isn’t that difficult & everyone is so kind! I'm really beginning to like Philipino people :).

I did not break out the camera out today 'cause of the pouring rain but will try to do so tomorrow. Most tourists have the sense not to travel here in monsoon season. But here I am here in this resort town without any tourists diving in typhoons ;-). Met a Greenpeace friend in the south who offered up his apartment. Its so nice to have my own kitchen and wifi & diving 20ft away!

So far did two shore dives in the rain, its definitely muck diving here. I have heard the boat dives are exceptional & cant wait. For now the shore dives have muddy ugly ground dotted with very exotic critters. Saw a beautiful shimmering squid tonight, swam through a stationary sleeping school of razor fish, two huge frog fish larger than your hand, something the guide called a snake eel, loads of spiny devil fish, different types of scorpin fish, and a few very cool octopus, etc. The guide took some pictures while I held the light - will try to get copies and post some more tomorrow.

Doing a sunrise dive-so humm maybe I'll just take my own camera in & see what comes out. Waiting on the weekend gang from Manila & very excited to dive with them and see these exceptional divers in action!

I am still not sure if I will stay here to meet one Floro brother, or head back to Manila to join the other for wreck diving in the north this weekend - will know tomorrow. I will stay a few extra weeks in the PI just to dive with these divers! So much to learn, I wish I could stay here longer, but Indonesia and exotic sites are calling. Still have Sumatra, Bali and Komodo waiting!

Found a partner for Komodo!!! Yeah!! To be continued...

Last edited:
I definitely want to go back. But do I trust Ben and Ted? Actually, I trust them to order me balut...

Kathy, glad to hear you're back in the water, and that you've found someone for Komodo. How do you do this? Seriously! I'm a pretty social guy, but I'm simply amazed.

I definitely want to go back. But do I trust Ben and Ted? Actually, I trust them to order me balut...

Kathy, glad to hear you're back in the water, and that you've found someone for Komodo. How do you do this? Seriously! I'm a pretty social guy, but I'm simply amazed.

Balut? Yuck! Ive sampled some pretty strange stuff but not goin there ;-)!

Social?

Ah--sometimes when you don't make plans - ya get lucky and just fall into the flow!

Oh yeah 4 other extended trips to SE Asia in the past 4 years & facebook to keep in contact = a nice network of friends living/diving in SE Asia ;-).

Last edited:

Dude I'll get you the finest balut in Manila :)

2010 I say... We'll bring the whole collective (and some)

Hey Kathy if you find your self in Bangkok you know we got contacts there also... especially Don :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom