(5/01/05) Diver missing in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MoonWrasse:
Sounds like you're arguing to not even try.

or that for every possible solution, there are additional problems that may make
the solution less than desirable

if the diver couldn't hold on to the bouy, how would he hold on to a line
catapulted to him?

if he couldn't follow directions to stay put, how was he going to follow
directions to get a hold of the catapulted line?

the worst thing about non-existant problems is that they create wholy
unsatisfactory solutions

Pilot Fish, my boy, I think you have lost all sense of reason. You constantly keep coming up with off-the-wall possible scenarios involving distressed divers.

Don't you ever get tired of hearing yourself talk?

Geez, to cover every possible contingency that you pull out of your diving delerium a boat would have to be the size of a freaking aircraft carrier to carry all of the gear to save one of your pitiful victims!

MoonWrasse:
Non-existant problems?
As I recall people have died, so you consider that a "non-existant problem"?

Excluding this post there have been #471 posts. The "problem" with the diver on the Spiegel Grove has been exhausted. OE2X, H2Andy, and a host of others are ... punch drunk ... if that's the word ... in discussing this endless post. If you don't think so, try reading the entire thread from Post #1 to the last one, then see if you can boil it down to something meaningful.

MoonWrasse:
Non-existant problems?
As I recall people have died, so you consider that a "non-existant problem"?

yes. you won't save any lives if you don't address the real problem.

the non-existant problem is getting a line to this diver while he was at the bouy.

the real problem seems to be, as best as i can figure, that the diver was not
aware of how to make himself positvely bouyant in the water or of how fast you can
get exhausted by fighting a current. the real problem here seems to be diver
training or ineffective self-rescue, or a combination of both.

but all of this is conjecture. next, we need to fix what is wrong with the Coast
Guard captain certification system. maybe the solution is to mandate a college
degree and OTS for all candidates.

cmgmg:
Excluding this post there have been #471 posts. The "problem" with the diver on the Spiegel Grove has been exhausted. OE2X, H2Andy, and a host of others are ... punch drunk ... if that's the word ... in discussing this endless post. If you don't think so, try reading the entire thread from Post #1 to the last one, then see if you can boil it down to something meaningful.
It's only endless because people continue to feel motivated to post to it :)

OK in an attempt to get something useful out of this thread...

Pilotfish is claiming repeatedly there is no plan of action for dive operators that end up with a diver incident. He's said that 4 or 5 times so im assuming thats what he really means.

Now, over here any professional boat operator has to comply with Health and Safety exec. rules. Amongst the tons of regulations are contingency plans. They have to have risk assessments, plans-of-action and pre-written responses to incidents. These have to be available for inspection. Anyone diving professionally (so DM,instructor) also has to obey HSE regulations and do similar.
Although amateur even i am expected to have a risk assessment and incident plan for a dive site if in charge.

Im assuming the USA has a similar regulatory body (is it OSHE?) that governs health and safety and so on.

Can anyone who knows about these things or operates a boat professionally confirm or deny this? If it IS the case then can they confirm/deny that boat operators are expected to have risk assessed and have incident response plans ? If they dont have to then maybe PF has a point. If they do then im afraid his argument is dead in the water.

Maybe if we can answer that question this thread can get somewhere.

25 more posts and it will surpass "I want to see a tank explode"

H2Andy:
yes. you won't save any lives if you don't address the real problem.

the non-existant problem is getting a line to this diver while he was at the bouy.

the real problem seems to be, as best as i can figure, that the diver was not
aware of how to make himself positvely bouyant in the water or of how fast you can
get exhausted by fighting a current. the real problem here seems to be diver
training.

but all of this is conjecture. next, we need to fix what is wrong with the Coast
Guard captain certification system. maybe the solution is to mandate a college
degree and OTS for all candidates.
You are correct, you are posting mere speculation. If we are going to tolerate your speculation here, you should be prepared to be fair and tolerate others' speculation here, even if it runs contrary to your own biases and prejudices.

hehehehe... whatever

Back
Top Bottom