(5/01/05) Diver missing in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
When you get around to taking a Rescue class you will learn the following:

- Every decision you will make as a rescuer will involve trade-offs.
- You cannot anticipate and plan for every contingency.
- Those you do anticipate and plan for will most often not happen the way you expect them to.
- Your first priority is to maintain your own safety. You cannot help someone else by jeopardizing yourself. Creating a second victim (yourself) will only complicate matters.
- When affecting a rescue, you stop, think, then act. One of the things you are stopping to think about is how your actions will affect other divers.
- Distressed divers are often a danger not only to themselves, but also to anyone who might be trying to rescue them.
- Sometimes your best option is to not attempt the rescue at all.

These are often hard decisions ... they are also reality.

I have to believe that this boat captain considered all of these things. He had a responsibility not only to this diver, but to the other divers. In the case where these two responsibilities conflict, he has to decide to act in a way that will produce the best potential outcome ... keeping in mind that he probably left his crystal ball on shore that day and could not predict the outcome of any decision.

Now, if this diver were the only customer on the boat that day, then I would say that you have a legitimate concern ... but the captain had an equal duty to not take any action that might place the divers remaining in the water in jeopardy.

I'll repeat ... this diver was ON THE SURFACE! Had the diver followed his basic training, as the captain has a right to expect him to ... chances are that the worst that would've happened is that he'd have floated away from the wreck for some distance until he could be safely pulled from the water. It is possible that he could not do that, for some reason ... but from the news stories he was conscious and coherent, so the captain had a reasonable expectation that the guy was capable of dumping his weights to maintain flotation.

To my concern, an expectation of minimum care extends to assessing the diving conditions, making a reasonable judgment as to whether or not to do the dive, and responding to unforeseen circumstances in a responsible manner. It's a bit unreasonable to expect the captain to anticipate every possible thing that can go wrong (inclusive of divers not doing as they are trained to do), and jeopardize his boat and the other divers in order to run to the aid of someone who is in a position to help himself.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Nicely said and very understandable. What you say is true. I got to the surface on that same site in some trouble, inflated my BC was prepared to drop weights, if I had to. I was plucked about 10/15 minutes later. I wish this poor diver could have done the same. It troubles me that with his level of cert he did not infllate his bc and drop weights.I cannot understand that.

I just wonder if there is something that can be done for the distressed diver that would not put everyone else in danger?

String:
and how do you know there arent plans ?

Oh, boy, this is funny. With a plan is place this diver is diving the Duane and Bibb the next day and having a relaxing drink with his pals.

As I said on the other thread - take responsibilty for yourself and your buddy.

John Muir once said that wilderness without risk is not wilderness. If you don't want to take risks, then don't get out of bed in the morning much less strap on a tank a dive a current intensive wreck.

OE2X:
PF,
What amount of money do you want to spend per dive for care over and above what is offered?

How would you feel if there was a tender with a couple of DM's on board waiting for you to screw up so they could drag you back to boat? How would you feel if they charged you $100. per dive?

I think having some form of plan in place to get to a distrssed diver quickly should not cost that much. We first having to determine how that is done. How about a catapult thing to get a line over to a diver one or two mooring balls from the boat? That would not cost much.

OE2X:
As I said on the other thread - take responsibilty for yourself and your buddy.

John Muir once said that wilderness without risk is not wilderness. If you don't want to take risks, then don't get out of bed in the morning much less strap on a tank a dive a current intensive wreck.

Reasonable risk, indeed.

pilot fish:
I think having some form of plan in place to get to a distrssed diver quickly should not cost that much. We first having to determine how that is done. How about a catapult thing to get a line over to a diver one or two mooring balls from the boat? That would not cost much.

PF, wasn't this addressed in your thread on "Dive Operator's Responsibilities". MikeTsp suggested this catapult:

http://www.adrax.com/watsons/lineg.htm

pilot fish:
What if the diver is incapable of grabbbing the rope?

What happens if the shooter's aim is off because the dive boat is bouncing in 3' seas?

What happens if in all the confusion the shooter loses his bearing and aims at another diver on the surface?

What if it's a night dive and the diver's primary and two backup lights have all failed so the shooter can't see him?

What happens if fog comes in? How about the shooter being blinded by the sun reflecting off the water?

How many of these guns do you need to effect a rescue?

What will happen if you lob 3 or 4 lines out and now create an entanglement hazzard?

Geezzzz man. How many other divers must die to save one?

pilot fish:
Reasonable risk, indeed.
Risk is subjective to training and the diver's abilities. The kind of dives that Curt Bowen does would be perilous to me. For him they are reasonable risks.

yes...

Safety is an acceptable level of risk.

who said it? dang, can't remember now

OE2X:
What if the diver is incapable of grabbbing the rope?

What happens if the shooter's aim is off because the dive boat is bouncing in 3' seas?

What happens if in all the confusion the shooter loses his bearing and aims at another diver on the surface?

What if it's a night dive and the diver's primary and two backup lights have all failed so the shooter can't see him?

What happens if fog comes in? How about the shooter being blinded by the sun reflecting off the water?

How many of these guns do you need to effect a rescue?

What will happen if you lob 3 or 4 lines out and now create an entanglement hazzard?

Geezzzz man. How many other divers must die to save one?
Sounds like you're arguing to not even try.

Back
Top Bottom