(5/01/05) Diver missing in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sofar,as we dont know any facts on wich to draw conclusions, I would say what I have learned so far is to be more dependent on myself even if diving with a buddy. But things do happen that no one has control over. Thats just the nature of life.
It does no good whatsoever to place blame or even insinuate blame when you dont know what happened. There is nothing to learn from that.

One thing I've observed here -- being involved seems to up peoples post counts very quickly as they begin to espouse needless and pointless comments, such as this one and the ones that say there's little to learn as we won't know all the correct facts (blah blah blah) or that we shouldn't try and figure any sort of reponsibility (blah blah blah).

Remember -- knowing if it was the captain's fault (in any way), and if he would/could/should have done something to help the situation is helping us as divers -- it's helping us understand both what to expect from a dive boat captain and what to ask about when we're booking a dive charter.

Now, if everyone that kept saying "stop placing blame" (and nothing more) would contribute something useful, we'd be in great shape!

KrisB:
One thing I've observed here -- being involved seems to up peoples post counts very quickly as they begin to espouse needless and pointless comments, such as this one and the ones that say there's little to learn as we won't know all the correct facts (blah blah blah) or that we shouldn't try and figure any sort of reponsibility (blah blah blah).

Remember -- knowing if it was the captain's fault (in any way), and if he would/could/should have done something to help the situation is helping us as divers -- it's helping us understand both what to expect from a dive boat captain and what to ask about when we're booking a dive charter.

Now, if everyone that kept saying "stop placing blame" (and nothing more) would contribute something useful, we'd be in great shape!

I am absolutely speechless at that comment. I guess only certain ppl are entitled to their opinon. Im sorry I didnt preach on and on as others have done. I didnt think but a few words were needed. Your post was very insulting and unnessacary

KrisB:
One thing I've observed here -- being involved seems to up peoples post counts very quickly . . .

hehehe... say, you have 471 posts... that's pretty swell :eyebrow:

also, since rule number 2 (numero dos, numero deux) in this forum happens to be

(2) No "blamestorming." Accident analysis does not "find fault" - it finds hazards - and how to reduce or eliminate them.

i guess reminding each other not to blame people (with or without facts to back it
up) is not such a bad thing...

all kidding aside, i think scubatwo is right... everyone is free to express their
point of view within the TOS ... but people are going to disagree, of course,
and sometimes they'll tell you to shut up. but you don't have to, so long as
you stay within the TOS :wink:

now, someone tell me to shut up so i can be rude to you...

ScubaTwo:
I am absolutely speechless at that comment. I guess only certain ppl are entitled to their opinon. Im sorry I didnt preach on and on as others have done. I didnt think but a few words were needed. Your post was very insulting and unnessacary
If you were expressing an opinion, great! Some how saying "it does no good whatsoever to place blame or even insinuate blame when you dont know what happened. There is nothing to learn from that" seems to be along the same lines as giving instruction as to what we should be saying here.

I guess I'm growing rather tired of several parties here doing that -- if we say "it looks like x could have done something better" then the agreement or disagreement should be made based on that statement, rather than saying "leave x out of this!" or "don't you think x is going through enough emotional turmoil already?!?" -- both of which have been repeated themes throughout this thread.

H2Andy:
...now, someone tell me to shut up so i can be rude to you...
Oh, Andy, you make it too easy....:wink:

now, someone tell me to shut up so i can be rude to you...

Hey H2Andy,

SHUT UP! :p

I think that it's important to recognize the difference between casting blame and noting potential solutions/ameliorations that could have been made by people that were present.

I don't think anyone here is saying, out and out, "it's the captain's fault" -- most are saying "I think this could have potentially had a better resolution if the captain did such and such."

Edit: oh, and yeah... about the post count. I think I was around 375 or 400 when I started reading and participating in this thread. :)

you've hurt my feelings....

hope you're happy now! and your little dog too!

H2Andy:
you've hurt my feelings....

hope you're happy now! and your little dog too!
I think someone determined that was actually some form of equestrian animal, though the exact race was undetermined... partly due to the fact that it was not (apparently) anatomically correct.

KrisB:
If you were expressing an opinion, great! Some how saying "it does no good whatsoever to place blame or even insinuate blame when you dont know what happened. There is nothing to learn from that" seems to be along the same lines as giving instruction as to what we should be saying here.

I guess I'm growing rather tired of several parties here doing that -- if we say "it looks like x could have done something better" then the agreement or disagreement should be made based on that statement, rather than saying "leave x out of this!" or "don't you think x is going through enough emotional turmoil already?!?" -- both of which have been repeated themes throughout this thread.

Im sorry my opinon (however small it is to you) means so little. I will keep it to myself from now on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom