(5/01/05) Diver missing in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Winters:
I never wanted to deal with diving fatalities so I did EVERYTHING in my power to prevent them
And at this point is it known that that dive op or captain didnt do all they thought they could?

pilot fish:
Take notice of the question mark - ?? . It is not an affirmative statment but a joking question. I know you're not bald but I was making a joke, which failed. See how things can be misconstrued? :)

They said it was funny! What more do you want lol

Your very hard on other ppl but want your point to be seen. You have good points but would do well to open your mind to others views and comments also :)

pilot fish:
Baitedstorm is follicly challenged? eek, he said that, not me.

I saw that interesting link you provided. Thanks. Interesting but that stuff is after the fact and would not have had, it seems, any effect on the fate of the diver. What he needed was instant help.

Who do you use as your NY dive shop? Bet we use the same one.

Not according to Baitedstorm's last pix but I read she's REALLY attracted to men of the smooth persuasion :wink:

Dive shops ... certified out of StingRay Divers (for nitrox that is), browse at Scuba Network but for cheap stuff LeisurePro.

BTW, while I understand your position on challenging statements made by the Captain and why you're sticking to your guns, if you and TW had somehow toned things down (screwing the pooch isn't one of the ways), I think you'd have gotten your point across much better ... not mention saving at least 150 posts....

ScubaTwo:
They said it was funny! What more do you want lol

Your very hard on other ppl but want your point to be seen. You have good points but would do well to open your mind to others views and comments also :)

Thanks. Sorry if I seem unreceptive. I am receptive. I have a problem with people immeadiately attacking the dead diver. i.e., it's his fault, since he is not here to defend himself.

baitedstorm:
Hey......... :11: back off the bald people man..... skin is in, bald is yummy! :eyebrow:

now look, you've made me hijack my own thread :god: it's refreshing to see something new being said though aye?

Aye... one must wear the other man's mocassins ... no, that's not it ... one must wear the other man's teddy ... no that's not it either .... hmm, takes one to know one ... yeah that's it! :11:

pilot fish:
Thanks. Sorry if I seem unreceptive. I am receptive. I have a problem with people immeadiately attacking the dead diver. i.e., it's his fault, since he is not here to defend himself.

I think its unfair to attack anyone at this point. And probobly shouldnt be done reguardless. But you seem very intent on your mission. Good luck.

ScubaTwo:
I think its unfair to attack anyone at this point. And probobly shouldnt be done reguardless. But you seem very intent on your mission. Good luck.

We agree. No one knows for certain who's fault it is, if it was indeed anyone's fault. No mission, other than learn the truth and learn from this unfortunate death.

When I first heard this news I was soooo angry. I guess I'm spoiled by the great group of people that I dive with. I formulated my own opinions. I struck out at ghosts that may or may not be there. After a lot of soul searching only one thing really matters, and I hope we all learn form this. A man lost his life because he enjoyed a very unforgiving sport.

Its sad, but its real.

Be safe, and always look out for #1. Sometimes it really is a lonely number.

Capt Tom...yes I believe the Capt did everything he possible could. The distances and sea conditions that I knew first hand were too great to do anything else.

Pilot Fish...I am sorry that you had a bad experience on the Grove, and yes I read about it several days ago, but to assume every dive operator operates the same or makes the same mistakes is about as wrong as me assuming that every "investor" conducts business illegally because Martha Stewart's advisor went to jail.

You will never know for sure what happened on the surface if you are unwilling to belive the Capt, but what we do know is this: If the victim had followed the basics we all learn in open water...stay with your buddy, inflate your bc on the surface, and drop your weights if necessary...he would be alive today to tell us what happened on the surface just as you relayed your experience to us.

Ah, no one's really attacking - things have gotten skewed at this point - 42 pages of posts after all. Things like this are upsetting to other divers.
A point to ponder is that this wreck sits in 130' of water, which is some serious diving no matter how experienced you are. Yet the Keys, and especially the Spiegel Grove are meccas for the recreational diver. At some point, the ex-Oriskany is going to be sunk in 250 of water off Pensacola and the ex-General Vandenburg is going down towards Key West way. And that will be deep as well. Serious, serious diving, but both wrecks will be nexuses for recreational divers visiting Florida.
The conventional wisdom of limiting tourist diving to protected or semi-protected waters to maybe 90' will disappear, at least in Florida. One of the reasons I probably never killed anyone was because I didn't dive often in currents, variable water conditions, or the depths like those one can encounter on the Spiegel Grove.
Plus they didn't have this damn internet where stuff gets out all over the world like nobody's business.
So maybe operators have to look beyond just meetingthe USCG, agency and insurance standards to avoid stuff like this. People are going to die diving - just like they die playing golf or going to the supermarket. It happens. A friend of mine died last summer diving in Florida with a physician as a buddy and an ER physician riding in the boat, and nothing could be done to save him.
It's the preventable stuff that maybe needs attention.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom