(5/01/05) Diver missing in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove this wreck two summers ago for my nitrox check out dives. We did a two tank on it and boy did conditions change. The first dive was sweet, virtually no current and real relaxing. The second dive the current was ripping and really picked up just as we entered the huge cargo hold. It was like a wind tunnel. We had a father son team on the dive and they both struggled to make it back to the anchor line. This can be a intermediate dive or go to advanced in a matter of minutes. I will never forget my gloves on a wreck dive again. You better be able to deal with current, for this one.

Hop Devil:
This can be a intermediate dive or go to advanced in a matter of minutes. I will never forget my gloves on a wreck dive again. You better be able to deal with current, for this one.

This makes it an advanced dive every time.

For instance: If you where diving reef wall with a max depth of 300 ft, but you where only going to dive it to 60 feet, would that be an intermediate dive, or advanced? I'd say it's an advanced dive because of the possibilies of going deeper due to down currents or loss of bouyancy control.

Because of the depths and changing conditions on the SG, it is an advanced dive and should be treated as such on every dive, no matter what the prevailing conditions are upon splash.

my1ocean:
I agree with you, Mike, the buddy system is there for a reason and a good one at that. But, divers seperate daily here in the Keys and the answer is not to say "to hell with you if you're alone".

They seperate because they aren't any good at staying together. What else aren't they any good at? I'm not saying the answer is to say "to hell with them" but niether is the answer for divers to think that some one is going to be able to jump in the water and save them or worse, that they'll never run into trouble in the first place.

A cab driver can't ensure you'll get good food when he drops you off and a boat crew can't insure your safety when you dive.

my1ocean:
It is not unreasonable to brief divers that if there is a problem, a boat may leave a mooring for a rescue as long as there are no divers trying to board at the time. Granted this is a keys specific reply.

We prepare to have the boat gone because moorings break in rough seas and what not but the boat should not leave intentionally EVER not even for a diver in trouble. Chase baots or surface support with scooters might make sense in some situations but divers then need to realize that they will be paying for the extra crew and equipment.

MikeFerrara:
We prepare to have the boat gone because moorings break in rough seas and what not but the boat should not leave intentionally EVER not even for a diver in trouble. Chase baots or surface support with scooters might make sense in some situations but divers then need to realize that they will be paying for the extra crew and equipment.

I think that is a great idea Mike, have a small boat able to launch, or already in the water on certian sites, like the SG ,to pick up divers. If a diver has to be picked up like that he'd have to pay an additional cost. I'd gladly pay a reasonable fee rather than stay distressed at the mooring ball, or get swept away. I think most divers would like that option.

cmgmg:
I hereby appoint you the ... whatever ... to try to understand or communicate to "PilotFish"...

I give up. :xeye:

Years ago, I was on a jury for a criminal case. After the judge gave us instructions on examining the evidence, we deliberated. Two jurors insisted to GOING BEYOND THE EVIDENCE and speculating on a lot of things that may or may not have affected the case ... this reminds of that experience :loopy:

BaitedStorm, great thread but I can't imagine any germane point can be raised except for the operator's statement and, perhaps, a coroner's or some other official report. Had enough?

This reminds me of a friend that believed this man had climbed Mt Everest, even though the man was stricken ill if a fly or bee came too close to him. I asked the friend, how do you know he really climbed Mt Everest? He said, because he told me, and he wouldn't lie. Rightttttttttttttttt.

PS, the man lied. Turns out the man in question flew into one of the base camps by plane and stayed in a wooden shack overnight and left by plane the next day. It was later confirmed by a man who was in the party. Don't believe everything you hear, and only half of what you see. :)

Pilot Fish...you have now officially closed this thread by openly acusing the captain of lying with nothing to support it other than your desire to blame someone....and saying there should be a rescue boat standing by when you dive the Spiegel Grove. What about the the Duane, the Bibb, the Eagle? The deep balls on the Elbow, French, and Molassess? Are you ready to pay $500/dive?

Time to move on to a more productive discussion somewhere.

MoonWrasse:
I think this board can be better served by refraining from personal attacks on other posters. At least I hope so.
aww... and here I thought it was just part of the way things happened in the "Accidents and Incidents" forum. It seemed so common!

The trouble is that these issues have emotions so attached that things seem to escalate quickly. Frankly, pilot fish brings up some good points -- what's to say the captain had those times correct? I can tell you in a situation like that, my eye isn't on the clock to make sure I know exactly when "xxx did such and such, then yyy responded with this other thing" -- five minutes could be either on the long or the short side. Remember the word "approximately" was used.

The only time that can be trusted is the time next to the logfile entry at the Coast Guard and other emergency services operators... and even then you need to make sure their clocks are syncronized to the same source.

Your logic sounds solid. Prepare for the worst and if nothing happens its gravy.
I've never hit a down current on a wall dive so I haven't considered them as much more than intermediate dives but I see your point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom