(5/01/05) Diver missing in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my experience a panicked divers don't really listen to direction from the boat. I can only assume you were not panicking in your situation. A person in distress focuses on self preservation and sometimes their decisions lead them to demise.

The Grove is a wonderful dive. It is magnificent and the wildlife is ever increasing. Some people dive the Grove as a badge of acheivment.

I tend to agree with 1Ocean's speculation. How did a diver apparently ok on the wreck at 50ft make a normal acent up to at least 25-30ft (the spot the rest of the divers last saw him) and shortly thereafter become paniced diver at the surface.

Also from my experiences, panic divers do not listen very well nor do they let go of anything they perceive as a "safe harbor". A more likey scene is to have a distressed diver climb on top of the ball to "reach high ground".

I think the possiblity that he was unconsious when he let go of the line is very plausable.

my1ocean:
In my experience a panicked divers don't really listen to direction from the boat. I can only assume you were not panicking in your situation. A person in distress focuses on self preservation and sometimes their decisions lead them to demise.

The Grove is a wonderful dive. It is magnificent and the wildlife is ever increasing. Some people dive the Grove as a badge of acheivment.

I did start to get panicky from hypoxia [ I was face down breathing off my snorkel]and did not listen to them telling me to turn around and swim on my back, which is what I should have tried in the first place. I was a lot less experience then, I think, than I am now.

Yes, I think diving the Grove is a kind of badge of achiement. I will do it again.

The captains statement said he swam from the line. So, I think the lights went out during his swim. But, what a great point about the where the accident happened- somewhere between 30fsw and the surface. I wonder if he was experiencing angina to make him surface early or if there was an embolism between 30 and the surface.

Island Dog:
I tend to agree with 1Ocean's speculation. How did a diver apparently ok on the wreck at 50ft make a normal acent up to at least 25-30ft (the spot the rest of the divers last saw him) and shortly thereafter become paniced diver at the surface.

Also from my experiences, panic divers do not listen very well nor do they let go of anything they perceive as a "safe harbor". A more likey scene is to have a distressed diver climb on top of the ball to "reach high ground".

I think the possiblity that he was unconsious when he let go of the line is very plausable.

yes, puzzling that he would let go of the only safe harbor he had, the mooring ball. I think you're right, he might have become unconscious after letting go of the mooring ball. But why let go in the first place? He could also have become unconsious ON the mooring ball, which would account for his letting go of it?

pilot fish:
I think if he were told to, that is different. He's in distress and looking for guidance, right?

Just another quick point before we say Arrivedercii ... Gpatton 's post (page #13 post 126) incident report narrative (retyped as written, names were abbreviated for privacy)
states that

"THE BOAT CAPTAIN WITNESS J WHO STATED, HE HAD SEEN THE VICTIM SURFACE AND APPROXIMATELY 2:50 PM HOURS ONE MOORING BALL AWAY AND SIGNAL HE WAS IN DISTRESS. WITNESS J. FURTHER STATED, HE ADVISED THE VICTIM TO STAY PUT "

It goes on to state "THE CURRENT BEGAN TO PICK UP AND THE VICTIM TURNED LOOSE OF THE MOORING BALL. WITNESS J. STATED, THE VICTIM BEGAN TO TRY TO SWIM FOR THE BOAT "

Don't know why he did that since he was told to stay put.

Ciao

cmgmg:
Just another quick point before we say Arrivedercii ... Gpatton 's post (page #13 post 126) incident report narrative (retyped as written, names were abbreviated for privacy)
states that

"THE BOAT CAPTAIN WITNESS J WHO STATED, HE HAD SEEN THE VICTIM SURFACE AND APPROXIMATELY 2:50 PM HOURS ONE MOORING BALL AWAY AND SIGNAL HE WAS IN DISTRESS. WITNESS J. FURTHER STATED, HE ADVISED THE VICTIM TO STAY PUT "

It goes on to state "THE CURRENT BEGAN TO PICK UP AND THE VICTIM TURNED LOOSE OF THE MOORING BALL. WITNESS J. STATED, THE VICTIM BEGAN TO TRY TO SWIM FOR THE BOAT "

Don't know why he did that since he was told to stay put.

Ciao

The Capt is giving a statement about what HE, himself said. If he had told the diver to let go and swim for the boat100ft away do you think he would have said that to incriminate himself? Not saying that happened. Just a thought. If I had drown swimming to my boat after the Capt of the other boat told me to, do you think he would have said, I told him to swim down current to this boat because of the current, or would he have told the truth that he told me to swim against the current in 5 ft swells a 100 ft to my boat?

Caio, amiche

pilot fish:
The Capt is giving a statement about what HE, himself said. If he had told the diver to let go and swim for the boat100ft away do you think he would have said that to incriminate himself? Not saying that happened. Just a thought. If I had drown swimming to my boat after the Capt of the other boat told me to, do you think he would have said, I told him to swim down current to this boat because of the current, or would he have told the truth that he told me to swim against the current in 5 ft swells a 100 ft to my boat?

Caio, amiche

Why are you even bringing this up. The Capt was there AND the Capt says he told him to stay. What is the point of this supposition.

YOU WEREN"T THERE, YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT WENT ON.

What are you trying to infer and why are you bringing up the possibility that the captain was not telling the truth.

DennisS:
Why are you even bringing this up. The Capt was there AND the Capt says he told him to stay. What is the point of this supposition.

YOU WEREN"T THERE, YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT WENT ON.

What are you trying to infer and why are you bringing up the possibility that the captain was not telling the truth.

I hereby appoint you the ... whatever ... to try to understand or communicate to "PilotFish"...

I give up. :xeye:

Years ago, I was on a jury for a criminal case. After the judge gave us instructions on examining the evidence, we deliberated. Two jurors insisted to GOING BEYOND THE EVIDENCE and speculating on a lot of things that may or may not have affected the case ... this reminds of that experience :loopy:

BaitedStorm, great thread but I can't imagine any germane point can be raised except for the operator's statement and, perhaps, a coroner's or some other official report. Had enough?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom