400m swim for DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,

Just did the 400m yesterday, but it was I think a 800m!!! In open water, I usually do it in 10 minutes, and yesterday= 24 minutes!!! IMPOSSIBLE that it was a 400m!
I'm sure they did it in purpose, cause when I came back on the boat one of the instru told me "So it was good the 800!!!"
I hate that! Could it be possible that they do that? What for???
So they want me to do it again cause I don't have a "good time" on it! Can you believe that???
I'm so sure that it wasn't a 400m but much more, I was exhausted!

I remember my 400 had to be under 15 minutes I think. It's really not that bad and 15 minhutes is a long time for the swim. Just train up to it, don't stop for those little 5 second pauses at the wall (they add up fast) and stay streamlined. I had no problem making the time limit once I started swimming like this.

My instructors pulled stuff like that. Obviously that realize that you are capable of exceeding the minimum guidelines of the certification and simply want to know how far you can actually go and how much bs you are willing to take. It's all a game, be confident in your potential as the DM candidate and have a good time with it.

Pulling stunts like that isn't on as it affects your overall score. Should have timed/graded on the first 400m.

Surely though you have an idea of how far you've swum and know the area/pool/sea or whatever ?

So you passed? Good for you!

Finally passed everything! I did the 400m for a second time in 15 minutes.
Well I went tooo fast on the 2nd lap. Which means just go slow at the beginning!:D

Good luck to the ones who'll take it!

Cheers

TheHobster:
That's an incredibly strict and unnecessary interpretation of the term swimming aids in the standards and is BS - wear goggles, wear a slim suit, not a baggie one; do a turn, but do it quick -

Sorry... are goggles allowed for the test? I know a mask isn't. I wouldn't mind using simple swim goggles, because even though I can take my contacts out, I still have a problem with chronic dry eyes (I won't bore you with all the details), and chlorine and salt really make it worse. To the point where I get headaches and nasty stringy discharge and all that.

Back
Top Bottom