400m swim for DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that the "lap" confusion comes from the idea that at the "end" of a "running" lap you have returned to your starting point, so after you swim two lengths you are back at your starting point.

dl348:
Yeah, probably isn't but don't know for sure. I do know that IANTD is an excellent agency with very high standards. Just my 2 psi. :D

Thanks.....I was just referring to the fact that GUE doesn't allow any strokes whatsoever.... :D

AXL72:
lmao!!

1 lap in swimming = one length of the pool.

swimming is not the same as running where one lap is one length around the track.

500 meter freestyle is 20 laps = 20 lengths of a 25 meter pool.

As a former competitive swimmer, I call hogwash!!!!

A length is 1 X the length of the pool, regardless of how long the pool is. A lap is a round trip, there and back, by definition two lengths of the pool. If you are swimming in a 25 yard pool, a length is 25 yards, a lap is 50 yards. These are pretty standard, defined terms in swimming.

AXL72:
:S

well....i dont know...i did compeitive swimming. 1 lap was one length of the pool

for the 500 meter...teammates sometimes hold lap counters under the water

and the counter is per lap = length

Usually lap = 1 length...however, the term is so loose that some use two lengths to define a lap.

However, usually the term is used for one length:D

"Lap One length of the course. Sometimes may also mean down and back (2 lengths) of the course. "

On the lap counters, you are correct....but did you have a lap counter on each end of the pool? Doubtful. And when they changed the number on the board for you, did it decrease by 2 each time, or by 1? I am betting it was by 1. This is because each time you touched the same wall again, it was a new lap. Since you would only touch the same wall once every two lengths, that would tell you that two lengths = one lap. I've swum a few 500's myself....as well as 100 breast, medley relays, 25 frees, 50 frees, and the occasional IM....it's been a a little over a decade, but the memories are still fresh.... :wink:

gangrel441:
On the lap counters, you are correct....but did you have a lap counter on each end of the pool? Doubtful. And when they changed the number on the board for you, did it decrease by 2 each time, or by 1? I am betting it was by 1. This is because each time you touched the same wall again, it was a new lap. Since you would only touch the same wall once every two lengths, that would tell you that two lengths = one lap. I've swum a few 500's myself....as well as 100 breast, medley relays, 25 frees, 50 frees, and the occasional IM....it's been a a little over a decade, but the memories are still fresh.... :wink:

Increased by two :wink:

Examin these statements. Gordon has gone a lap down. I was embaressed to be lapped in the 400. Mike has lapped the entire field. They could all be talking about track racing or pool swimming. Proper use of the word in a swimming pool would be 2 lengths per lap. As most educated people know, proper english is rarely used in the US and correcting the badly trained is usually unrewarding.

richarddean:
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about doing the 400m swim in the allocated times allowed

thanks

Not sure what help argueing about whether a lap is 1 or 2 lengths is going to help the op get through the 400m swim in the allotted time.

As long as the op can figure out the necessary lengths/laps that need to be done for that distance it doesn't really matter whether it is 16 lengths, 16 laps or 8 laps (as long as it is 400m and not 800m).

drew52:
Not sure what help argueing about whether a lap is 1 or 2 lengths is going to help the op get through the 400m swim in the allotted time.

As long as the op can figure out the necessary lengths/laps that need to be done for that distance it doesn't really matter whether it is 16 lengths, 16 laps or 8 laps (as long as it is 400m and not 800m).

No matter how you count (as a swimmer and coach a lenght= a lap to me), you still have to be in shape for an endurance swim - so, with that in mind start with LSD, long slow distance, go as far as you can for 15 minutes, stopping as needed -- each day increase distance - then as you get in shape increse to 20, then 30 minutes - alternate swim, pull (with a buoy) and kick -if possible get a lifeguard with a swim background and/or a coach to help you with technique help - I bought a pair of US Divers swim fins that help as well; they help keep your legs near the surface and keeps shoulder pain down -

the suggestion of doing 50 yd repeats is good, but get your aerobic base first - be able to swim 400 yds w/o stopping before trying this as it can be intense - found out how fast you go a 50 yd/meter, or whatever down and back is in a short course pool, add approx 15-20 seconds, and then do your repeats at that interval -

so as an example if you do a 50 in 1:18, I would start by doing 5-10 x 50 @1:40 - so if you do 1:18 on all, you get 22 seconds rest between; if you get faster, as you should once in shape, you'll get more rest - take your heart rate at least once a week, you should find that the HR will go down as you get in shape, that means doing 1:18 is easier, so it's time to drop the interval and go a few seconds faster

to give you an idea, 2 years ago I had a 12 YO boy on my club, he was a 6:00 400 free in the middle school meets and couldn't do 50's every minute, which I think is a minimum baseline for an agegroup swimmer - now, at 14 he is repeating 50's every 40 seconds and went a 5:32 in his 500 last weekend, so probably 4:26 or so at the 400 - not great age group times, but it shows the progression of how to utilize faster intervals to build endurance - of course one of my DM candidates was in the lap swim lane next to him at practice last week and got smoked :) but when he realized how quick alex was compared to the standards he was OK with it -

so figure what you need to average per 50 to meet your goal time, and work to attain that time with a short rest interval over 8-10 x 50:

5 points = :45 or better per 50 yds (under 6:00)
4 points = 1:00 or better per 50 yds (6:00-8:00)
3 points = 1:15 or better per 50 yds (8:00-10:00)
2 points = 1:30 or better per 50 yds (10:00-12:00)
1 point - finish

the math is simple, the work is what is hard - go to it!!

Just get in shape and you'll do fine. Good luck. :D

As stated in this ongoing thread...get in shape and practice. practice. practice...you will doyourself more good in the water than on a computer trying to figure out what is needed...many have answered your question..now get to it. Let US know how you did.

Good luck and do not give up...worse thing you can do. Is quit!

Safe dives

Back
Top Bottom